Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Key keeps sticking in the ignition. It wont
turn at all until I jiggle it about a bit. I thought of spraying a bit of wd in it but thought against.
Any clues anyone ? Had this trouble yourself ?

·
Stone Crazy
5,312 Posts
WD or one of the cheaper better substitutes maybe your only choice, unless someone has done it before and you have a build up of crud inside, Switch cleaner maybe better to start with in that case, if you have a freindly electrician/tv repair man see if you can scrounge a squirt from them
before going out and buying a can

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Key seems straight enough. That switch stuff sounds good gear. Worried about crudding it up if I spray too much wd in it mind. I may have to go with it though. Cheers fellas.

·
Eat less ride faster
147 Posts
Ive had this mate and now just spray a bit of WD in the lock which seems to help. I've also found bizarly that one way in works better than the other ( i put a sticker on one side of the hob to find out)

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
GT85 is what I use, after every wash, the key and ignition get a little spray .

Its PTFE (teflon) based and does not leave a sticky residue.

Plus you can buy it anywhere , halfords etc .

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Do not use WD40 on the barrel, use chain lube. I use muc off PTFE dry lube on my ignition and house locks and it has freed them up a treat.

Reactions: alias

·
Registered
897 Posts
One thing worth considering when you are spraying WD40 into hidden places is that it breaks down other lubricants/grease,and could well shorten its life.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Had the same problem with my Deauville key/lock, got a non chipped key cut from a blank (~£4) to check if I had a key or lock problem, unchipped blanks are cheap. That worked in the lock , the original key was slightly twisted, I then brought a chipped blank (~£25) had it programmed (1/2 hr labour or DIY see xrv? or Deauville forum). All works fine now.
An unchipped key will work the lock/HISS if the original chipped key is held close to the lock when you switch on each time. You have to experiment find the 'good' position for the chipped key as the HISS aerial seems fussy . Once the engine is running the chipped key can be removed.
I also lubricated the lock mechanism with ACF50.

Reactions: alias

·
Registered
69 Posts
l know its a bit late but as a locksmith and rider a few tips. Do not use chainoil, engine oil or grease. This attracts dirt and forms a sticky paste, at first they seem fine but as the petroleum content slowly evaporates they gets thicker, enough to stick the pins or wafers after you remove the key. spraying with the lighter WD40 , GT85 solves this. Graphite does work but do not mix it with oil not only does it congel a bit but you get a black stain on your fingers or gloves. If a quick spray with WD40 ect ( l do mean quick as in 1/2 a second) does not make the key come out smoothly, take it to locksmith who can gently ( no you cannot do it with a rasp) take the burrs off the reverse slopes of the cuts with a fine warding file without affecting the depth of the cuts.. even though immobilisers are not cheap, do not wait until you only have one key, l have seen grown men cry on losing their last keys. One last thing , take ALL your keys with you on biking holidays, they do you no good " safe" at home!!!.l carry two sets in my jacket and one hidden under tape on the bike ( under the tank or on TOP of the airbox) handy if your jacket gets nicked. Bye.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
GT85 is what I use, after every wash, the key and ignition get a little spray .

Its PTFE (teflon) based and does not leave a sticky residue.

Plus you can buy it anywhere , halfords etc .
+1 for GT85, cos it smells great too!

Z

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with the graphite powder. It works a treat. Must have been some ****e in it. Thanks for your helo everyone ! Very much aopreciated. Thought it might be new barrel time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered a keyless entry device off ebay for $15 that I'll try to program myself using bruceb's instructions. Even if I can't get it to work, $15 isn't much to lose and I can always have the dealer as a fall back plan. I'm also going to call a couple Locksmith tomorrow and see if they copy/program transponder keys - if so, I can get an uncut key from ebay for $15 as well. I'll update this thread with my progress in the near future.

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
+1 for graphite in the ignition keyhole.

Silicone spray for sticking switches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts