Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Odd question I know
Fan switch was faulty and welded solidly in place in my 1994 600 Transalp
I fitted a manual switch instead, and although it is just replacing the original fan switch I am now obsessing if somehow the fan is running the wrong way.

When in heavy traffic the fan doesn't seem too effective at actually bringing the temp needle back down.
A piece of tissue in the engine "compartment" looks like it draws the tissue (therefore the air) towards the fan / towards the front of the bike.
But a piece of tissue in front of the rad looks like it draws the air through the rad and into the engine area (surely correct)

The problem is,because theres so much air diverted out through the side panel its actually hard to see which way the fan is drawing air.
The simplest solution is to just ask you guys which way your fan (that hasn't been messed with) turns when running.
Pic below of the way mine currently runs when looking from the rear.
Thanks in advance

IMG_5614.jpg

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
It should pull air rear wards ie assist the natural airflow if you were riding.
It should be right, as all you do with fitting a manual switch is manually earthing the fan.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should pull air rear wards ie assist the natural airflow if you were riding.
It should be right, as all you do with fitting a manual switch is manually earthing the fan.

That's what im thinking
Im guessing its right ,but just hoping someone can confirm their fan spins the direction mine is
(When the fan switch was ok I don't remember thinking the temperature was slow to drop when it ran)
#beinganal

Cheers for reply

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
You know the direction it turns, looking at the fan blades will tell you wether it would pull the air from front to rear or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
try blowing smoke towards it when running
Tried that already....so much air movement from the fan that it doesn't really show much
Its probably running as intended (ive only replaced the original fan switch with a manual one).....but if anyone thinks of it next time their fan runs ,try get a peek at what way it spins and let me know
Thanks in advance:thumb:

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
It should be clear by feel/smoke which way the fan blows, they (should) give a rush of air when running.
As I say, looking at the fan blades will tell you, all is correct.

My 650 runs anticlockwise btw

Have you properly tested the fan circuit? The switch doesn't usually fail, problems are almost certainly a bad terminal, of which, normally a corroded earth lead from rad to loom or someone has forgotten to refit it.
How have you wired the switch?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts