Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having no luck getting the TA on its stand.

true, I am an 11-stone weakling but I don't have any problems with other bikes. So I suspect it might well be that the stand is all cacked-up.

Has anyone serviced theirs? I recall reading that the springs are tricky to get on and need pound coins as spacers or something.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Giles

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Hi Giles the pivot point on the Transalp to my mind is in the wrong place.I am six foot one thirteen stone.To get the Transalp onto the centre stand you need to lift and pull at the same time to get it on the centre stand it,s all timing ,If you have pannier racks fitted you can use these to make it more easy to do.My wife used to have a VFR750 and you could put that on to the centre stand by pushing down on the centre stand with your foot ,My mate has a CB1300 and you can put it on to the centre stand with little or no effort with your eyes shut.Francis

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
As fw750x says, pannier racks; no help if you haven't got them:rolleyes:
The Transalp does seem difficult, I've had heavier, bigger bikes that are easier to put on.
The bracket they provide is too low, the grab rail too high, panniers racks perfect.
Re servicing your stand, there are other threads re this, but the best advice you'll get, is get a replacement shaft and slide that one in as you take the old one out. The downside is you dont get to clean the brackets properly.
So, my other advice is, get the old shaft out, then remove the springs, degrease and clean up the shaft, a bit of emery will help, clean up the brackets, fully lube with lithium grease, I prefer to use copper grease, but some will correctly argue it is not for moving parts, but the shaft isn't in constant use, put the shaft back in.
I took the springs off for cleaning, but put them back on before I replaced the shaft. Yes it's a bu**er holding the tension whilst getting the shaft in, but if you put the shaft in by itself (very easy) and then try to attach the springs, please send me a video of you doing it, I could do with a good laugh:D

Good luck

John

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Hi Giles the pivot point on the Transalp to my mind is in the wrong place.I am six foot one thirteen stone.To get the Transalp onto the centre stand you need to lift and pull at the same time to get it on the centre stand it,s all timing ,If you have pannier racks fitted you can use these to make it more easy to do.
I'm the same size (ish) as this man & have exactly the same thing with my 600.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Giles, only if the stand has so much kak in it that it fails to fold up automatically should you even think of taking it apart. It's a hideous job!

The bike doesn't go up on the stand because the stand lifts it quite high and is not well-designed. My Pan is 100kg heavier than my Alp but it pops up on the centre stand FAR more easily.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Glad I'm not being totally pathetic - especially as I passed my Mod2 today. Hoo bloody rah.

I have got pannier racks, although I'm tarting them up at the moment - see blog on my signature if you are interested. I need to put an update up as after two coats they are already looking sweet. Two more coats to go.

Once they are back on I'll flex my muscles and check my timing then give the centrestand a proper go.

I can't believe I'm allowed to ride it now. Better change my picture.

Cheers

Giles

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
centre stands on 600's are sods it must be said. is yours a Honda stand? mine has an SW Motech stand and the bit you put your foot on on that is very stubby and does not provide enough of a foothold.
i have pannier racks and engine bars and need to hold both to get it on the stand. also try having the bike on a very slight slope so as you lift it moves backwards a bit(but make sure it is a very slight slope) that helps me a lot.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a Honda centre stand on a TA 650 (not 600), and it's fine. I thought it a bit hard work to get on the stand at first, but after a few times completely forgot about it being 'difficult'. Like other bikes I've had in the past, it was just a matter of getting the swing of it. Don't know if this applies to the 600, but probably.

·
Banned
48 Posts
My stand is seized pretty much solid, I recon it needs heat but would take a lot of work to do so have left it alone.

I think it was an optional extra anyway.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmm. Seems like I need to practice my technique.

I'll reattach some of the rear bits at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

·
2,701 Posts
I find it easier to use my left foot on the stand, left hand on frame by tank/side panel, right hand wherever comfortable.
Then lift and pull backwards, if it don't go up first time let it 'bounce' down and pull up and back immediately, using the bounce back to help.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
My stand is seized pretty much solid, I recon it needs heat but would take a lot of work to do so have left it alone.

I think it was an optional extra anyway.
Slickmouse, you're scaring me!
Make sure I never buy your bike!
Get it sorted now, before the stand permanently becomes part of the frame!

Soak it in penetrating oil for at least a week each day.
Carefully apply heat to the two pivots.
Loosen the bolt partially and either hit the end of the bolt with a copper hammer, or possibly use a brake pin remover shaft slightly thinner than the stand shaft and drive it out.

Swearing will be involved, sweating too:rolleyes:

Every time I remove a bolt from the bike, I always copper grease it on return.

When you get the shaft out, emery it, brake clean it, thoroughly cooper grease it and get it back in.

So, the next time your oil filler gets stuck, are you never going to change the oil?

Sorry for the sarcasm:thumbup:

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Eh? I thought if it didn't come off that means the oil doesn't need changing. :confused:

:thumb:
You must be right.

It's like a maintenance free battery, never needs to be topped up:D

There is no need to change your oil, it's like a self fulfilling prophesy.

Oil gets old and thins, but more metal comes off your engine, thereby thickening the oil again. See, no need to change oil:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Eh? I thought if it didn't come off that means the oil doesn't need changing. :confused:

:thumb:
You must be right.

It's like a maintenance free battery, never needs to be topped up:D

There is no need to change your oil, it's like a self fulfilling prophesy.

Oil gets old and thins, but more metal comes off your engine, thereby thickening the oil again. See, no need to change oil:D
That is why the shops charge so much money.
Anyway it is a Honda so it should run fine with old deep frying oil in the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I roll the rear wheel of my 600 Alp up on to a piece of wood (regular 2inch by 4inch builders wood). With the rear wheel higher up it makes it much easier to put the bike on the centre stand.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Thought I'd best reply lol

My bike is pretty minted in fact had someone at the garage the other day wanting to buy it! The centre stand really doesnt concern me but its always on my to do list and one day it will, I did take off the bolt no problem and release the springs but i just know its gonna be trouble!

Doing the scottoiler at the weekend so might try harder then as long as the :sunny: shines

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I roll the rear wheel of my 600 Alp up on to a piece of wood (regular 2inch by 4inch builders wood). With the rear wheel higher up it makes it much easier to put the bike on the centre stand.
Genius idea. I tried the everything else, to no effect. Although I had just filled up :roll:

Will give it a go tomorrow. I've taken all the bodywork and crashbars off tonight. She appears to be held together with Araldite and zip ties...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Genius idea. I tried the everything else, to no effect. Although I had just filled up :roll:

Will give it a go tomorrow. I've taken all the bodywork and crashbars off tonight. She appears to be held together with Araldite and zip ties...
It beats having to undo all the screws and bolts.:D:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts