Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just completed a 400miles trip to home from cornwall to Wales and back. Bike run beautiful untill heading back last 100 miles. At 70mph at 5k rpm the rev counter died and seemed to drop a cylinder. Once I got under 5k sitting at 65mph it run perfect. All the way home once off a30 it is doing it in all gears. Is it one of the ECUs or a fuel fault. I have replaced a ECU before as one just died randomly on the motorway but this seems different any help would be great
Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
sounds like classic case of CDI failure. they often fail intermittently

the RPM gauge takes it's feed from one CDI, so if you swap the CDIs around, the fault may return but the RPM gauge will work. this will tell you that you have a faulty CDI

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like classic case of CDI failure. they often fail intermittently

the RPM gauge takes it's feed from one CDI, so if you swap the CDIs around, the fault may return but the RPM gauge will work. this will tell you that you have a faulty CDI

I was confused as before when my CDI failed it just failed. Full stop. But this one seems more like a fueling proplem but with the rpm count stopping it must be Cdi. But I replaced that CDI recently. It was a cheap CDI. Is there a recommended CDi manufacturer that everyone goes with or just order two off eBay I'm gonna replace both this time.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
i have heard that super cheap CDIs can be more prone to fail.

i don't know what brand to suggest.

all i know is that the £50-ish ones seem to be ok, but they all appear to be "unbranded"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just took the bike for a spin now and it's not doing It. At first I did think it was a fuel problem but the rev counter was defo failing with the misfiring. I will replace both CDI'S anyway I want it spot on for my Morocco trip soon

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
in every cdi failure i have experienced the fault has come and gone, sometimes damp weather made it worse, sometimes jiggling the cdi or going over a bump made it worse or better

i would take a spare set of cdi's to Morocco, even if they are old ones you think may be faulty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts