Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but a quick forum search didn't reveal much.

I've got a TA600 which I use mainly for trail riding and the standard shock wore out - damping gone.

I've been trying to find a decent secondhand one but of the 2 or 3 I've tried most have little to no damping, or their shock length is not quite the same and ride height is reduced and therefore ground clearance.

I'd like to sort it out as the TA is a good allrounder, but I also dont want to spend several hundreds of pounds on an Ohlins etc.

So any trail riders out there found a cost effective solution?

Maybe someone has had their standard TA 600 shock rebuilt - was it anygood - who did the work - what did it cost?

I dont know if they fit, but has anyone fitted the later 650/700TA shock or Africa Twin 750 shock?

Or anyone have a good TA 600 shock for sale?

Cheers
Glenn

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I thought I'd sorted this out, as I managed to get a Transalp Hagon shock, its a nice bit of kit with adjustable damping via an allenscrew, adjustable preload and even the damper rod appears to be stronger/thicker than the original unit. However its an inch shorter than my stock unit, I've since found out this shock is only for the later Transalps as per :

Hagon Shocks Limited - Twin shocks, Mono shocks, Fork Springs, Wheels

By the way if anyone wants to buy this one pm me and we can discuss, the spring could do with a rub down and a coat of paint but apart from that it looks to be in very good condition, if no one wants it here I'll probbaly ebay it.

So the search continues, will update this thread if I find a solution.

Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
I fitted a Hagon unit to my 600. I find it does the job ok. If you phone Hagon they will build a shock to your requirements. Found them very good to deal with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers Shepp but I'm trying to avoid the several hundred pounds option of buying new but we'll see.

I've also found a company called ABE [email protected] who can rebuild them, here's their email response :

'the rebuild is £100 for taking apart, flushing inspection reoil reseal and regassing, the damper rod if damaged is rechromed at a cost of £60'
With a post £170 inc of vat'

So worst case rebuild cost including postage is £170

For now though I'm trying to find an secondhand alternative longer shock with good damping ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
By the way if anyone wants to buy this one pm me and we can discuss, the spring could do with a rub down and a coat of paint but apart from that it looks to be in very good condition, if no one wants it here I'll probbaly ebay it.
As I can't seem to work out how I can PM you, how much are you after for the shock?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi MAC600,

I can't send you a pm either ... I could before.

You could always try my mobile on 07813 276 290.

Cheers

·
Registered
127 Posts
wilbers do great kit, I had a 640 for my 08 Transalp with awesome results, transformed the bike. Hagon I decided not to go with after reading several stories on the HUBB about them cracking

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

'Hagon I decided not to go with after reading several stories on the HUBB about them cracking '
I'm surprised at that as the damper rod is thicker than original unit and it looks sturdy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know what they charge in the UK, I got mine through a reseller in Norway, where I live.
You could get prices contacting them here Wilbers Suspension

Anyhow, wilbers is the only aftermarket brand I have used for suspension, and I've used them once, I really don't have a real life opinion on other brands. Wilbers got recomended to me by another transalp owner in Norway. I spent a lot of time researching info on the net in all forums I could find any info, and wilbers seemed to come out high as well as ohlins, hagon had more variations in user opinions, though also a lot of happy users. As I said, I based my decision on the info I had gathered, that's all. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts