Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought a 1997 Transalp XL 600 V. Today I ran out of gas after ~280 km (173 mi), so I switched to reserve, and continued riding another 15 km (10 mi) before reaching a gas station. When I stopped, I switched back on to the main fuel tank, and started refueling. I was surprised, because I could only cram in just shy of 14 litres of fuel in the tank. So does these bikes just have very small fuel tanks, or very large reserves?

I hope some of you can answer my question :)

Thanks,
Frederik

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Palm...4 gallon tank or 18 ltr " including about a 1 gallon reserve "...about the average size tank...your doing OK and very well with 173 mile...say 57 mpg...i have a 99 V reg 600TA... i try and fill up a lot earlier than that unless on a really long run, when i can average about 64mpg...Dont ever push your luck on stretching those miles or you will be doing the walk of shame without a can in your hand, trying to stop someone to help you, or phoning a friend...We are lucky ! as some bikes need top ups at less than 100 miles...Ive rescued a few stranded bikes in the past with my tiny syphon tube and a flattened cleaned out litre milk carton on the bike and usually carry a gallon can in the cars....Take heed mate..and fill up early and remember to turn the petrol tap on before you leave the petrol station because i sometimes forget and then 500 yards down the road the bike suddenly reminds me ! ! !...Good luck and ride safe

PS...Your bike is obviously running well...mine has sometimes returned as low as 48mpg, trying to stay with an R1 mate so giving it some, and also as much as 72 mpg " once " ....but nobody believes me on that one....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate. Happy to know she's sound :)
I just came from a GS500 with a massive 20 l tank, I could easily get over 200 mi on it, so that's why this surprised me. Although not as much as my old Honda CBF 125 which did over 300 mi on a tank of 13 l :)
But yeah only having 100 mi in my tank... I dont know what I would do, i'd never dare leaving a petrol station :D

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
i get 170 miles before turning to reserve. thats london riding

i have got 200 miles before turning on reserve when on longer trips, about 60 mph

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi...Glad others are out there with nice mpg amounts...bike travel range was a subject discussed around a camp fire with a few very experienced bikers a couple of years ago ! and i had just got 69 mpg loaded up with 5 stone of camping stuff...When i said i could manage 250 mile at a push if i tried hard....All i heard was ... " WHAT B%!!%X "...and whats your ride...an old XL600v Tranny i said ! Yeah of course you can ? ?...Well i did..but was riding nice n easy...but 150 mile is my normal switch to reserve.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've noticed that when filling up the tank on my 97ish 600 TA it wont fill up above the tank neck. Is this normal? I cant see where the fuel is going. Should I be able to actually brim the tank?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi all XL600v people....I was cruising google for anything Transalp related and found a specification site that had a section called "Gas" American me thinks " Anyway it appears that our " oddly " shaped petrol tanks have a 1.5 litre approx of trapped petrol in the right side that never makes it to the petrol tap...unless you lean the bike really well over to the left....Sort of an extra reserve, an emergency reserve me thinks...1.5 litre is a third of a gallon ! and if you can slosh it over and get one litre across it could get you 12 / 13 miles down the road to a petrol station..maybe 20 mile if you behave....Did ! or does anyone know this info ? ? or can confirm it is correct ? ?
My only thought...is there may be some crappy dirt lurking in some old tanks ! that gets out and may get in the carbs and cause grief.....I had my tank off and cleaned and syphoned the dredges out of the bottom bits, so i might be OK...Incidently i ran the petrol i took out through a filter in a funnel, like when making and bottling wine, and it had loads of crap in it.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts