Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have obtained a 1989 transalp. It was UK registered and then the owners moved to Spain and so exported it. They have moved back to the UK (with the bike) and I now have it. Firstly how do I “re-register” back into to the UK and second, what is the best way to bring her back to life?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration

not much goes wrong with the 600 transalp

i would change the oil and filter, if it runs ok leave the spark plugs as they are, top up the coolant, and just ride it

the 1989 model had a single front disc, so brakes will not be great, but they will work, you could always replace the brake hose with a braided one

make sure the chain is well oiled with chain lube, and is not too tight (1 inch of slack when sitting on the bike)

you could change the air filter, it's pretty easy

these links may help

Known Problems

https://transalpclub.nl/media/kunena/attachments/3046/TA Compilation Data.pdf

http://ironbrothersmc.com/motors/Honda/Honda_XRV650_XRV750_Transalp.pdf

post some photos of the bike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is it at the moment, need to rebuild the front calliper as the seals have gone.
Thanks for the info above! Im sure there will be lots to help get it back on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
mmm... yes, a little bit of work there. but mainly a lot of cleaning!

those silver engine bars are quite rare.

do you still have the matching plastics? as they can be hard to get hold in in decent condition

the main issues with old 600s are wheel rot, worn front sprocket and failing CDI units, very little else goes wrong

if you take the tank off, use that opportunity to replace the 4 spark plugs, and possibly the valve clearances if the engine sounds a bit "rattly"

you can download the official Honda Workshop Manual here:

https://bit.ly/2ERzaoO

but i think the valve clearance figures are different for 1987 and 1989 models, i am not sure what years that manual refers to

this thread is also good reading:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/show-us-your-transalp-modifications.39170/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,have all the front fairing and rear plastic. Have removed the tank and given the carbs a good spray of carb cleaner. I believe it was running all be it roughly before I got it. Currently got the battery on charge as it was dead. Engine appears to turn over freely using another battery I have.
I’ve not seen another with those chrome bars, they appear in good condition! Someone has also fitted a switch controlled fan to the rad, I’m guessing due to the heat in Southern Europe?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
yeah, those chrome bars seem to be more popular in mainland Europe, than the UK

the Transalp 600 fan only really comes in when its super hot. i think i have only seen mine on twice, in heavy hot london traffic, and climbing slowly uphill in hot spain

or ...maybe your thermostat switch is faulty and someone installed an override switch?

·
Registered
291 Posts
First job i would do, is check the brakes are in good order with no sticky binding pistons or non sliding calipers on the pins. The fronts are the usual culprits....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So she fires on one cylinder... I think it’s a carb issue as when running fuel comes out the overflow pipe from the carb. Is there an easy way to remove the carbs?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
swap the CDI units around and see what happens. also, try knocking/shaking the CDIs and see if that makes a difference

the reason they fail is the seat pushes down on them and over time this breaks the internal circuit board.

you need to get a different rubber CDI case/cradle like this:

CDI-Taschen-fuer-Honda-Transalp.jpg

this enables the CDIs to sit with the longer edge at the bottom (think "landscape mode") so the seat no longer pushes down on them

Known Problems

replacement CDIs are pretty cheap on ebay (£50?) but make sure you get the right one as early transalps didn't have the side-stand cut-off facility?

there are loads of threads on various forums about transalp CDI issues!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would the cdi cause the carb to overflow with fuel? When running the overflow pisses fuel out, hence why I though carb issue? I’ll try swapping the cdi’s to just to try and eliminate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
May be a carb off job then, I’m hoping it’s a stuck float or blocked jet, other than that all electrics and lights work, gears etc seam fine and wheels tyres are good! Once I can get it running I’ll try for an MOT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I managed to remove the carbs, which was surprisingly simple! Opened the float bowl of the offending cylinder to find the float stuck!
Cleaned up and freed up, I’m hoping this cures the fuel coming out the overflow pipe!
I’ve also managed to correctly adjust the rear wheel and chain tension, now waiting for the battery the charge then hopefully test I’ve fixed the carb!
On a separate note which coolant does an 89 alp take?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts