Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Layzrider 
#1 ·
Hi all can anyone help. I am after a cheep fix for my transalp 600v 1993. The rear wheel on my much loved winter hack is badly corroded and i am looking to replace it but they are like rocking horse poo to find. Does anyone know if a wheel of any other bikes fit without to much messing around. Or does anyone have a wheel to sell. or can anyone suggest any other options Much appreciated

#2 ·
Hi there, it might be worth checking how corroded it is- my garage said that they have seen wheels almost all the way through that were still holding up. Just a thought - it might save you a few hundred quid if there's life left in it.

#3 ·
As far as I know, no other wheels just fit without "messing around". However, I suppose that depends on your definition of messing around.

Your best bet is probably ebay or rebuild your current one. Are the spokes actually pulling through? What does the inside of the rim look like? Sometimes they are not as bad as they look and can be cleaned up. We do have a resident wheelbuilder on the site who should be along in a minute...

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Ask around local mx riders/shops - they'll know of a decent wheel builder. Many don't promote them selves or advertise heavily & work from home or a small units tucked out of the way - almost an underground culture.
I have used Jeff at KB Wheels in Bolton, canny fella & a decent price :thumbup: prior to that a seme retired guy who's now laid down his tools, as mentioned there is our resident SFX wheels but going local will save 2xp&p

Assuming the wheel needs rebuilding that is?

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
I would agree with the previous responses. I have a wheel on an XR that is really corroded. I ground and wire brushed it down to more solid metal and it still works fine, even on the trails. My main concern was to get rid of any metal that might punture the tube. On my other xr, I relaced the rim, changing to an 18" rim. It was really not hard at all. I put all the new spokes in and tightened them up evenly, I made some truing guides on the sides and kept on tightening. Kind of fun, really. Satisfying challenge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.