Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Transalp, speed triple, fazer 1000, st sprint, yamaha xt600, yzf250, honda grom
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i'm having problems getting spark, i've read loads of old posts, this bike worked before i stripped it, and put it back together.
I have checked switches etc, all seem good, it's a single cdi, iv cleaned that.
It turns over but no spark, now the engine was on its side when removed and put back in the frame, so i need help on the test procedure for the pulse gen, i have a feeling something failing there, or lume.
The key light goes out, i would be grateful for any help on the testing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Get a copy of the Haines service manual, available free online, ity should have all the information you need.
I'd check all the plugs in the pulse and spark circuits first. The front right blinker on my '98 Suzuki xf650 stopped working last week. I'd had the fairing off during servicing some time back and the fault turned out to be a pin pushed slightly back out of the connector plug had finally caused a bad enough connection that there wasn't a proper circuit. It tested okay without the bulb but wouldn't light a new one up either.
I've also seen this happen on other bikes as they get a bit older.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, that's what i'm doing now,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, i have checked the kill switch, it turns power on and off at the ecu, i have power to the coils etc, the key light goes out even when i disconnect the diode thats cable tied under the instruments panel, the bike was stolen when the last owner had it, so im guessing the diode is in place of the key fob, the ignition had been broken off and bodged back on, but the bike worked when i got it.
This is really testing me now, i have the wiring diagram from the manual, just cant find the fault

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could it be the crank sensor ?, how would i test that, HELP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After cleaning more connections the hiss light goes out, but when you crank it over the key light comes back on, seems its getting worse

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
sounds like a HISS issue to me, especially as it was previously stolen and it has been bodged

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery flat now, so how do i go about fixing this, is there a reset method, it worked before, maybe a broken wire ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I own a 2003 650, that I bought new in 2004, and I recently had trouble getting it to start. The bike has done over 180,000km and the usual, "key light stays on, press starter and wind for 1 sec then turn off and on, light clears" didn't work. I wiggled the HISS wire that runs from them front edge of the key barrel and the light went out. My guess is that one of the wires has work hardened and opens the circuit from time to time when the bars are turned interfering with the HISS detection circuit. If your bike has been stolen and tampered with check the continuity of the HISS wires for the length of that circuit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply jackflash, i will check all that,

·
Registered
144 Posts
You'll also need to recharge your battery, (well derrr Jack!) I have 2 battery chargers for this kind of situation, and I did have a 3rd one that was more adjustable, but I got careless and knocked it off the tank of a bike while refitting a fairing. Take care of battery chargers, don't be like Jack!
When you are testing the continuity of wires, wiggle them around to test for internal breaks as they may test okay in one position, but a turn of the bars might cause the break to open up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jackflash i have cleaned all connections on the ignition side of things, cleaner in key barrel, moved the clock battery thingy that is cable tied to the lume under the clocks, and wolla, no key light anymore.
Now i'm back to having no spark, power to the coils, switches all work, what should i check next,? its driving me mad now lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll have a look at the manual when I get a chance (I'm at work and its about 3.40am so not at my brightest for electrical trouble shooting). That clock battery probably needs to be connected I'd guess.
Are you saying you have no power to the coils as well as no spark? It would be odd to have power to the coils but no spark. The circuit includes the battery, the CDI, the pick up coil, the ignition coils, the neutral switch, the stand and clutch switches if not in neutral, and the HISS key detector. The CDI will only give an output to the ignition coils if the HISS light is out(from detecting the correct key chip not from disabling the detection circuit) and either neutral is selected or side stand is up and the clutch is disengaged. If your HISS light stays on that is what needs attention, not by disabling it but by working it what has changed while you had it stripped down. If it ran immediately before it was stripped down but doesn't run now, something had changed and I'd start with the wires running between the CDI and the HISS key sensor on the key barrel. Without a manual I have no way of knowing what to look for in that circuit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've just reread earlier posts and can see that the HISS light has been going out. Also that you have power to the coils. I'm now thinking along the lines of why the coils don't fire and that is down to the pulse it gets from the pick up in the engine. I'd be looking at the manual for a test procedure of the ignition pick up coil in the engine. I don't know whether this is of any help and I'll be brain dead and wanting to sleep when I finish work so it will be tonight Australian time before I can look at my electronic service manual and by then I'll be getting ready to come back to work to bring another train out to load.
If you can read up on the CDI and get some understanding of what makes it work and what stops it working, that'll inform your of what to check. I can't even think whether the side stand and the clutch lever switches make or break the circuit to enable the CDI, but those are the keys to ruling then out as a cause.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks jackflash, the hiss light is off now, i cleaned all connections and left it overnight with the battery disconnected, it seems to have refreshed its self, the key light comes on when i flip the kill switch to off, so i take it, that its all fine there, the natural light is on, the clutch switch works ok, the stand switch works, checked continuity, stand is up, clutch is cable tied to handlebars.
The kill switch will kill power to the ecu and turn it on again when the switch is flipped, so that's fine, i have 12v to the coils, i checked the pulse generator which gave a reading in oms, i can't remember the exact reading but was a few hundred. Just don't know what i'm missing.
Have a sleep mate, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All sorted now, dodgy connection, thanks for all your help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulse generator circuit