Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have been struggling with the carbs and need to clean them but need some help to get the carbs off.

Does anyone have a step by step to remove the carb or can it be cleaned whilst on the bike

I have been looking for a manual but hard to find locally in FRance
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's in Haynes.

1. remove fuel tank.
2. remove airbox.
3. remove carburators.

You can also use a spray carburetor cleaner directly to the carburetors in the airbox after you remove its cover.

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
Tip:
When replacing the tank, don't bend/kink the tank breather pipe otherwise it'll conk out a few miles further on when there's a vacuum in your tank. How do I know this... :?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found it a complete pig to get them out and back in for the simple reason they have to be manipulated through the frame space which is too small to just draw them out. Putting them back in, the rubbers to the cylinders were so tough and inflexible (probably age) that it was very hard to get both carbs seated back up properly. Overall though, from memory, ignoring these 2 bits, its really a matter of

Remove fuel hose and vacuum hose from tank. Disconnect fuel sender lead (else you'll rip it of when you lift the tank )
Undo fairing side bolts and pull fairing away from tank
Unbolt and slide tank back - lift off - If full of fuel, you might find this heavy! Either do it on empty or remove the fuel by putting a container under the removed fuel hose and suck (or apply gentle suction) to the petrol tap vacuum hose. This will turn on the tap and the fuel will come out.
Undo hoses from air filter to carbs
remove air filter and all hoses (note where they all go, though most are sat at their natural positions, so it's not too hard, if a bit fiddly to get them back on)
Remove throttle cable and choke plungers. The choke plugers were another pig - Just so hard to get in, screw out and back. 20 minutes with sore fingers should do it.
With the rubber cylinder boots between the cyls and the carbs loosened, the carbs just pull off (easier said than done on my bike).

Probably missed something, but that's about it.

I did this because the bike had been standing for a _long_ time and carbs were totally gunked. First try I just removed them, doused in carb cleaner and re-installed. Didn't help. Whilst you have them off, do it properly. I stripped them completely down, cooked them in 'citra clean' cleaner in a big pot and it ate the varnish right out of it all. All the jets were in some way blocked. Cleaning and a very fine needle made it so I could see through them again. All put back together and I recently synced them (ripped the fuel hose in the process, hence my advice about emptying the tank) and all is good.

Good Luck - Patience and time is the key :) Frustration the enemy! It's not too hard a job in the end.

·
Administrator
1,778 Posts
.....and having got as far as getting the carbs off, it's probably worthwhile replacing the sparkplugs and checking the valve clearances (assuming these jobs haven't already been done) since you'll have to strip it almost this far when the jobs fall due. Working on the 650 TA top end is a real pain! (but strangely satisfying when it's all back together, the sun's shining and you're riding the winding roads in rural Mid-Wales :lol:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did this exact thing about 6 mnths ago when I first got my alp, it had been stood for 2 years so it was a full strip down and service job. I can only second what the others have ssaid here and take photos along the way to help you when you reassemble. It really is the ideal opportunity to the valves as well because of the clearence when the carbs are off. I cleaned all my carbs out, full of old sand or something. Like has been said, take your time, get a brew, scratch your beard or your balls, whichever you prefer, then try again, you'll do it. I have hands like shovels and I managed it. don't just do the inside either, clean all the balancing mechanism on the outside and get rid of the crap, blob of oil on the spring etc. If you get stuck with something shout up, they're very helpful on here, speaking as a newbie, I should know. Keep us updated. :toothy10:

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
.....and having got as far as getting the carbs off, it's probably worthwhile replacing the sparkplugs and checking the valve clearances (assuming these jobs haven't already been done) since you'll have to strip it almost this far when the jobs fall due. Working on the 650 TA top end is a real pain! (but strangely satisfying when it's all back together, the sun's shining and you're riding the winding roads in rural Mid-Wales :lol:)
+1. Plus, it's also worth taking off all the PAIR valve bollocks at the same time which makes checking the front valves slightly easier. Just need some blanking plates made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts