Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have ordered a lower seat. Had the bike since May 2013 and dropped it in u-turns twice, both just after filling up fuel tank. My confidence diminished making me reluctant to ride. So today ordered a lower seat from Lings for £65 delivered.
I am very happy with the Transalp, like the good protection in rain from the small fairings. Like the general engine note and slight popping on deceleration with a Fuel exhaust. Wish the rear indicators could have flexible stalks as have broken both sides, thank goodness for crash bars which protected the front end.
I'm 6" 1' tall so initially had full confidence as feet do stand flat on floor, but camber or uneven ground can catch me out and once it starts going I haven't got the brute strength to pull it back up. I really really wish I could learn how to pick it up alone, I know it's technique but without laying it down and picking it up 'the right way' lots of times I haven't been able to learn. Watched loads of YouTube vids with ladies picking up big Harleys, but tried both drops and just couldn't do it, so waved down passing cars.
Not keen on Bridgestone Trailwings, which occasionally give unnerving wiggles, especially at slow speed in traffic cues, probably a more road oriented tyre will improve.
Transalp is all the bike I wanted, don't want bigger, couldn't put up with smaller.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I have just posted about my new Transalp, I also fitted the Honda lower seat and then purchased the Lowering link from M and P which drops by another 25mm, giving a total of 55mm lowering. You will notice the difference when you fit the new seat. I have a 29 inside leg and can get both feet on the ground, and with heels flat with pillion. The homemade screen I did has made a massive difference. Forgot to mention I have the Bridgestone Battlax B45,s road based tyres which have very good grip and I have noticed no unusual handling issues.

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
I did try the lowered seat, but didn't find a lot of difference - I suspect the problem is the width of the seat at the front as much as its height. Altering the preload of the rear shock can pay dividends.
Re tyres, I now have the Anakee 3s, which are quite road-oriented; I find them very stable, and good in the wet. But, as you'll see from a brief search on this site, there are many, many different opinions on tyres!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had Bridgestone road tyres on my TA650 when I brought it ran it for a bit then changed to Avon Gripsters that have a trials tyre type tread, better for the country lane riding I do. I noticed that the bike got thirstier by about 5mpg after the change.
I set up the rear shock for comfort-soft, that lowered the back end a bit.

·
Registered
897 Posts
There's more than just technique in lifting the bike you still need enough strength to go with it, plus shorter people always make better weight lifters. Its not worth breaking your back so keep on flagging the help down girl! :)

Ah yes tyres, god only knows why trailwings are fitted as standard they are total rubbish! TOURANCES are really superb.

Got to agree about the weather protection I have been amazed how much protection the small looking fairing on the 650 provides.

Take it easy doing those U turns :thumbup:

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Keep those feets up !

Once, when having come to a complete halt, dropped my new'ish 'sports bike' because I put my left foot flat on the one piece of tarmac that was occupied by a slippery banana skin … Whoops … my pride hurt worse than the motorcycle.

More recently, pushing TA off of centre-stand, just lost its balance, and the TA fell away from me and came to rest on its r/h side in/on the garden hedge …couldn't extricate it on my own, had to call for the help of my Girlfriend and, with her very welcome assistance, the TA was returned to a dignified state of uprightness … another Whoops moment … and again, my pride hurt worse than the motorcycle.

For the regaining and bolstering of the slow speed confidence, might I suggest you find some unobserved tarmac where there is space enough to practice the slow riding and turning technique. Keep both those feet up (for greater control) and the engine revs up (gyroscopic effect assist), whilst adding a bit of gentle back braking during your manoeuvring, coupled with that subtle body movement/balancing thing (that we do when filtering), and look at where you want the motorcycle to go.
Nowadays, After years of practice, find I derive much satisfaction from going as slowly as possible when approaching red lights, or filtering through tight packed stationary traffic, or finding the one true line between heavily laden trolleys slowly trundling along the supermarket aisle …

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
I have ordered a lower seat. Had the bike since May 2013 and dropped it in u-turns twice, both just after filling up fuel tank. My confidence diminished making me reluctant to ride. So today ordered a lower seat from Lings for £65 delivered.
I have 29" inseam. Originally had a TA600 with standard seat and dropped it a few times. I had the preload wound down but was still on tiptoes and very much out of my comfort zone. However with the lowered seat on my current TA650 I can almost 'flatfoot" the bike and I'm a happy camper. :thumbright: It's a great bike now.

Not keen on Bridgestone Trailwings, which occasionally give unnerving wiggles, especially at slow speed in traffic cues, probably a more road oriented tyre will improve. Transalp is all the bike I wanted, don't want bigger, couldn't put up with smaller.
I had Deathwings on the 600 and my experience was similar. I dreaded white lines on the road, especially in the wet. I've put Anakees on my 650 and it rides sweetly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As you can see below, both my bikes now have low seat height, The transalp I get both feet on the floor with heels slightly raised but flat with pillion which I am happy with. However the Suzuki is a couple of inches lower again so both feet easily flat even with small bend at the knee, very much needed as it weighs 160Kgs more than the Transalp. Luickily I have not had the misfortune of dropping it as I would probably need a hoist to get it back upright

P1040734.jpg

Both have great weather and wind protection now

P1040736.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts