Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i have xl650 it has 58k km on the clock, i noticed my clutch slipping on high rev, how should i know is it clutch or clutch cable already worn out? clutch leveler has a lot of travel too..

thank you all

·
Registered
268 Posts
hi all, i have xl650 it has 58k km on the clock, i noticed my clutch slipping on high rev, how should i know is it clutch or clutch cable already worn out? clutch leveler has a lot of travel too..

thank you all
if the clutch lever has too much play, the clutch wouldn't disengage properly with the lever fully pulled in...it would 'drag' (hard to engage gears at all rpms)
if the clutch plates are worn and slipping, the most obvious sign would be a noticeable increase in engine rpm before the actual speed picks up...as if the throttle cable was made out of elastic...

to figure out the cause, set the clutch actuating lever play (crankcase end) to 10mm (use a ruler to verify), go for a blast, warm the engine up, accelerate hard in 4th or 5th gear...if it over revs before speeding up, chances are the clutch plates need replacing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My '03 XL650V had done over 140,000 when I replaced the clutch. The only reason for rep.acing [edit]oops replacing[edit] the clutch was because the timing chains were being replaced and the cover had to be removed. I'd check the cable adjustment before replacing the clutch at less than 100,000km.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My '03 XL650V had done over 140,000 when I replaced the clutch. The only reason for rep.acing [edit]oops replacing[edit] the clutch was because the timing chains were being replaced and the cover had to be removed. I'd check the cable adjustment before replacing the clutch at less than 100,000km.
under normal circumstances I'd totally agree with you but when some tw*t (see previous owner) uses cheap car oil, instead of motorcycle specific stuff the friction plates can get slippy...

·
Registered
173 Posts
under normal circumstances I'd totally agree with you but when some tw*t (see previous owner) uses cheap car oil, instead of motorcycle specific stuff the friction plates can get slippy...
Oh yes, I'd forgotten that not all who ride are motorcyclists, and that there are those who just do dumb things.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great stuff looks like piguglyshandydrinker was right ----- won't harm to get your hands on a cable oiler though :thumbup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Great stuff looks like piguglyshandydrinker was right ----- won't harm to get your hands on a cable oiler though :thumbup:
back in the day, I remember rigging up a return spring on an old TL 125, to pull the clutch lever arm back. Worked well especially when the engine ran hot....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts