Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently changed my air filter, and went for a ride. It made a big difference - better sound and more low down torque. On this ride, I stopped for some fish and chips. Went to start my bike and the box next to the battery (relay?) made a clicking noise, but no power to the bike. I called out my breakdown and they jumped the bike with their battery and told me I needed a new battery.

New battery fitted when bike went in for a new pair of Anakee III (lovely tyre).

I have just gone out to buy a multimeter to test the voltages, as I have a suspicion (just on reading forums, not on technical knowledge!) that the relay rectifier (RR) may have gone.

The voltages are as follows:

Battery: 12.92

Ignition on (lights off): 12.82

Engine on @ ~2,000 rpm: 14.90

Engine on @ ~5,000 rpm: 14.68

Now, I have followed the flow chart that I found on the internet and linked to on here and on ADVrider.com and see that if the voltage is under 14.80, or between 13.60 - 14.90 (two different flow charts) then the charging system is working.

I am just after some forum know-how / experts to let me know that this should mean that the bike / battery / charging circuit is working correctly. I don't want to be left stranded somewhere as I commute on my Transalp and my Wife is pregnant and due very soon so don't want to be stranded when I get 'the call'!

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Keith

·
Administrator
1,780 Posts
I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly, but for what it's worth, I reckon those figures are fine, and the regulator/rectifier is behaving correctly.
Just to get it clear, was it the new battery that failed? (in which case I'd take it back for a refund under warranty), or the old one? (The original battery on my 650TA managed 10+ years ... I'm hoping for the same from the new one ;) )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear! :thumbup: just got the bike in June this year, and it was the battery that was in it when I got it that has failed. I have just fitted a new battery, but just wanted to see what peoples opinions are as I'd rather buy a new R/R that a new R/R AND a new battery! :rolleyes:

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly, but for what it's worth, I reckon those figures are fine, and the regulator/rectifier is behaving correctly.
Just to get it clear, was it the new battery that failed? (in which case I'd take it back for a refund under warranty), or the old one? (The original battery on my 650TA managed 10+ years ... I'm hoping for the same from the new one ;) )

·
Registered
843 Posts
Voltages look fine - you could still service the charging system making sure all connections in the charging system, earths and terminals on the battery are clean & corrosion free, plus protected by dielectric grease.

The later finned /R are pretty reliable compared to ealier unfinned ones - though a good upgrade is a mosfet type r/r.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
To be fair, I've never heard of an RR failing on a 650 or any other charging issues for that matter (doesn't mean it doesn't or can't happen tho...)

If you can get a plug in voltmeter to monitor voltage whilst riding is best, they can read ok cold & break down when hot then be ok again when cooled.

Also take the lhs underseat sidepanel off & look for the 3 yellow wire connector (inside the plastic cover thing) - anything other than perfectly clean connectors & wiring needs fixing. Cheapest & easiest is to chop the connector off to good wire & solder/heatshrink the yellow wires together). Also check the plug on the RR itself (mounted to the rear under the lh cover)

As above, check the battery connections, engine earth & starter relay connections are good including the fuse & 4 pin plug on the starter relay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts