Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: FIXED! read post 5

Ok,this isn't a normal fault situation. I've had the bike in a major strip down to clean and repaint/powder coat quite a few parts. Just got it back together after 3 month lay off over winter to do all the jobs and it's not going (duh!).

The fuel pump is not whining at switch on as usual and not getting a spark, this is how it would be if the kill switch was down but that's not the case and the kill switch relay is clicking as it should. I didn't disturb much wiring and am pretty sure everything is as it should be. You can't connect up anything wrongly usually as all connectors are different.

It's turning over ok and the HISS light goes out so am hoping the system hasn't lost its coding. I'll charge the battery and try the second key tomorrow just in case. All fuses are ok and swapped the relays around in case one was faulty

Just thinking out loud at the moment in case I've not thought of something simple, I'll have another go tomorrow and let you know!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I concur that if you powder coated the bits that need a good earth then it may stop the bike running.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, tried the earths this morning and all seem fine, no voltage to the fuel pump and can't feel its relay clicking so am still working on the route that something is simply making the ECU think it's in a shut off mode like the kill switch is down. Have disconnected the battery a few times to see if it clears it but nothing so far.

Messed about with the sidestand switch too and neutral light is working so don't think it's the stand cutoff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A HA!!! Fixed it.

After saying that connectors couldn't be mixed up 'usually' I found two connectors on the fuel injection bodies that are the same and were transposed, the lead length on each was the same so each looked like it belonged there. One connector is blue (which should be at the bottom) but the other sides are black so that doesn't help much.

I've attached a pic which shows which 2 connectors can be swapped (I think it's the ambient temp sensor and the throttle position sensor).

Just to add, further symptom of this is the FI light and HISS light NOT coming when you put the ignition on.

Bike started after a couple of seconds after 3 months layoff and full fuel system dryout and settled into smooth tickover, fantastic Honda (idiot mechanic heheh).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Done in Tracking the *Fault* :thumb:

Bet you were relieved when she roared into life..... :p
I was damn relieved! Especially as my backup plan was taking it in under warranty and saying it wasn't starting. I'd look mighty stupid explaining how two plugs swapped places by themselves!!

:thumbleft:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
At least now your pride and joy is once again living.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts