Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken the rear shock out of my 700 Alp and removed the standard spring. I'm sending it to Faulkners for them to make me a stiffer replacement. An off the shelf spring from them isn't an option as the standard one is tapered ( about 3-4mm narrower at the bottom ). Not sure what weight spring I'm going for as yet, they will test the original and I'll decide from there.
Seeing as they're going to set up to make a one-off for me, does anyone else want to get one made ? Might bring the cost down if they can set make several. Even doing just 1 it won't cost much more than an off the shelf Hyperpro, but it will be linear and have a rating of your choice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me to !!! It's a bit hit & hope on what weight spring to go for to be honest, I think I'll be taking a bit of advice from the people that make them. I know I could just buy an off the shelf Hyperpro, but I don't believe that one spring works for all, and doing it this way I get a choice. Unfortunately my bike will be off the road for up to 3 weeks, but anyone else who wanted one doesn't need to send theirs, so no hassle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello, I'm new on this site and was just reading thru the forum posts and this one is of interest as my recently acquired 10 reg 700 Transalp seems overly soft at the back end.

I carried out a simple check of sag and mine appears to have approx 40mm at the back end and none at the front! I am 100Kg but even so this seems odd.

I take it from initial inspection the rear shock needs to dropped to get to the adjuster lock rings, I have to do this as two up I've grounded out a couple of times!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Easier to take the battery box out mate than drop the shock, then you can get to the rings with a hammer & drift. I've put my shock back in for now, but I will deffo be sending the spring to Faulkners once the weathers at its worst and I don't mind the bike off the road for 3 weeks.

Enjoy the Alp mate, very underrated bikes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't suppose anyone has either a TA700 spring or shock sitting around they'll either sell cheap or lend me ? I don't actually need one but I want to send a spring to Faulkners in order that they can make me another ( but stiffer ). I don't really want my bike off the road for the time they will take to make the replacement, supposedly up to 3 weeks.

Worth asking, never know my luck :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No drama mate, push comes to shove I'll do it in the depths of winter, unless I find a shock on ebay going cheap....very cheap !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts