Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

new to biking - Im really struggling to get my head round the kit i need to connect a top box. I have a transalp 700 2009 and am need of a topbox to help commuting time. Bonus points if it has a passenger rest.

would this look ridiculous to try to fix to a transalp? what would I need to fit a honda box? are their racks standardised? the colour would work with my bike hence considering this one.

alternatively, what plates do i need to fit a givi monolock such as this ?

thanks in advance

rex

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can buy Givi Monokey rack for the Alp, also a rack to fit Givi side cases too.

I took my old Alp pannier system off (sold it) and put a Givi system on.

Easy to do, bought from Sportsbike shop.

It means you can fit a variety of quality Givi cases that are more stylish and larger capacity.

Cheers,
Tony.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply tony. That looks ace. is it 52 litres? its massive !

im tempted by the givi panniers too, but they cost a frigging fortune and they dont seem to come up for sale second hand. ok so you'd avoid the honda case above then? is that more for scooters / tourers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah! you've de stickered the fairings too, ive been thinking about that too. Dont really like the standard graphics on the newer transalp

·
Registered
11 Posts
The side cases are 33L and the top case is 46L.

I did have a 52L topcase and 46L panniers but it was massively over the top so I moved them on too.

I took the decals off as I didn't think they enhanced the look of the bike in the gold colour?

The bike has had a number of other changes to it.

We use this bike to tour on two up loaded, it is an amazing little bike, almost as good as my Beemer, but not quite.

Tony.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
you don;t need genuine Honda cases, as they are expensive

you need this:

then you can attached ANY Givi monolock top box

i have used this one on all my Transalps (52l Givi Maxia). a brilliant box

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I'd second the Givi Maxia 52/55 (52 more robust, 55 has a bit more capacity but a bit flimsy compared to the 52), far better than the Honda top box IMHO

Panniers may be a hindrance for commuting, consider a tankbag (Givi tanklock are great if the filler on the 700 is a bolt on one) or how about a tailpack/waterproof roll bag on the pilliin seat?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks chaps. Its a good point re panniers and commuting. I keep hearing panniers make it feel more stable but i hadnt considered filtering room.

Ive been using a roll bag but it was just adding loads of time to bungee it on in a way that felt secure each time i used the bike Also if you've got clothes in there too you really want to make sure its rolled up right to arrive at work with some dry stuff to put on and if you want to get something out you have to do the whole thing again. Tank bag and top box might be the way to go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Givi soft panniers are under £100 for a pair and are excellent, i have some although it is a bit of a palaver putting them on as you have to take the seat off

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
if you need to filter in traffic go for a 52 litre top box and then either a tank bag or a waterproof dry-bag roll bag to bungee on the rear seat

if you are going the tank bag route.. get this, they don't come up very often on ebay

any baglux/bagster tank bag clips into it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you need to filter in traffic go for a 52 litre top box and then either a tank bag or a waterproof dry-bag roll bag to bungee on the rear seat

if you are going the tank bag route.. get this, they don't come up very often on ebay

any baglux/bagster tank bag clips into it
does that clip to the tank or the plastics? my plastics are flexible to say the least, think a couple of the connectors have snapped.

Also does the givi bag not get around the need for a tank cover?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
the bagster/baglux skins strap onto the tank itself. one strap goes around the headstock and the other two go either side of the tank and clip onto the tank itself

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
With the bagster you need the tank protector/harness and the bag. The harness is useful as a tank protector.

With the Givi tanklock you need a tanklock bag and a 'ring' with bike specific fitting kit to mount it to the tank filler cap. I find it a very neat & effective way with quick attach/detatch.
I'll post a pic of my home brewed item on the 500 later (ie Givi mount bolted to an old Oxford tank bag).

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
thats great, how easy was it to fashion? is it riveted?
After cutting off the magnetic flaps, I used a piece of thin ply (4 or 6mm?) Inside the tank bag and used short, fat, course threaded self tappers from the underside into the ply.
2 or 3mm alloy may work better as you could bend it to follow the tank profile.

Or just buy a proper tanklock bag

The whole bag does (should...) not touch the paint so no scratches etc.

A great system, shame the 650 doesn't have a bolted on tank filler

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After cutting off the magnetic flaps, I used a piece of thin ply (4 or 6mm?) Inside the tank bag and used short, fat, course threaded self tappers from the underside into the ply.
2 or 3mm alloy may work better as you could bend it to follow the tank profile.

Or just buy a proper tanklock bag

The whole bag does (should...) not touch the paint so no scratches etc.

A great system, shame the 650 doesn't have a bolted on tank filler

haha im partial to a bodge myself !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rexwexford, just looked at the Ebay listing for that Givi 52l box and it is up for the price that is similar to a new one. Those are great looking boxes, maybe also consider the Kappa Garda, fits on the same Givi Monlock system. Or, if you just want practical, a used Givi or Kappa topbox maybe?
Delete if not allowed, but I have a Shad top box and mounting plate for a TA700 for sale on this forum, much cheaper alternative!

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
you can usually pick up a used Givi Maxia 52 litre on ebay for about £60

they are great boxes, i have used them for years

1 - 19 of 19 Posts