Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Whats wrong with yours.... as I have my old one available... but for either spares or repair. It is a '88 block, which from what I know of the different blocks the only difference betwen that and yours is the oil feed pipe from the bottom sump to the cylinder heads was changed from being external to internal.

The fault with mine was the main bearings are on their way out, but apart from that the engine was ok.

Like I said, available but as spares or repair... depending on whats wrong with yours you may be able to swap parts from each one to make a good one...

Titch:thumbleft:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hullo Titch,

To cut a long story short. First tour ever, through Ireland. The output shaft strips. Sunday morning in Ireland nobody about except for some mad chap who offers to weld the front sprocket back on. I accept. It gets me home. Am paying for it now.

Really want/need a half decent straight swap.

Do you know which engines will fit the bill?

Cheers,

Griff.

·
Registered
256 Posts
oooohhh having your shaft suddely strip could mean somthing else has become damaged internally.... however might not be... could have just been knackered anyway....

The shaft on my old engine is in pretty good condition for an '88 Alp, and doesn't really show any signs of being worn..
You are welcome to make me an offer for my block, however buying a full block for replacing the output shaft to me seems a bit much...
looked in my haynes manual and not sure if I'm reading it right, but looks you can strip out and replace the output shaftwithout having to split open the block or remove the engine from the frame... not sure if this is right but might be worth looking into.

Anyway, back to your welded front sproket... think there is a couple of threads in the Alp section about this... which say a few peeps have ended up doing this and at the end of the day your sproket is held in place, and you just grind it off when it needs replacing and just weld another on in it's place...

hope this helps...???

Titch

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me have a read of the haynes and I'll get back to you. I read it once quickly, thought it said the output shaft was last to come out. will read in detail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mcsanandreas,

Yes, I am still looking. Does a '99 lump go into a '91 frame?
If it does I am interested.

Titch,

The ouput shaft is the last thing out after splitting the engine. Maybe a bit beyond my talents. Thanks.

Griff.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
mcsanandreas,

Yes, I am still looking. Does a '99 lump go into a '91 frame?
If it does I am interested.

Titch,

The ouput shaft is the last thing out after splitting the engine. Maybe a bit beyond my talents. Thanks.

Griff.
could not answer before my monitor had died! i dont think there is any difference between the engines but the electrics maybe not the same. i can post a question if you like? the engine i have has done 52,000 miles got me home from Skye to Dorset 676 miles in two days no worries so it works fine. did have a bit of clutch slip but i think that was bad adjustment at the lever. have a look at my for sale thread you can see a pic of it there. if electics are different i have all those bits too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts