Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have been pining for a transalp for some time - I was curious if anyone could answer which year/model introduced fuel injectors?

Spoke to a wise Honda man and he's saying 2007! Apparently carburettors are £25 to clean each...

Any wisdom greatly appreciated. Love the megathread for posting TAs for sale.

All the best

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ve got an xl700 which is fuel injected. As far as I’m aware all the models beforehand were carburettors.
Not sure which year the xl700 was introduced, but 2007 sounds about right.
Great bike btw. Buy one, but get a well looked after bike

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ve grown up with carburettors, but I’m a convert to fuel injection. You bet better mpg from fuel injection, but if you’re broken down in the middle of nowhere carbs are easier to fix anytime.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
600 - classic looks, simple, no HISS, no ABS, the lightest, can fix easily, can ride trails/off-road (but not muddy stuff), easy to steal, not ideal for motorway work, but can do it. hard to find a decent one these days.

650 - bigger, heavier, less nimble, more power, HISS ignition immobiliser, less attractive than 600, comfier than 600, can do motorways better, can't do off-road (too heavy). easy to fix anywhere (apart from HISS system), lots around for sale. good value at the moment.

700 - fuel injection & ABS, more power, better for motorways, suspension harsher, more of a "road" bike, smaller 19" front wheel, best for motorways, more complex, harder to "fix anywhere". cramped for tall riders, needs a 6th gear. pig ugly.

all seem to do the same economy, about 50mpg, unless you are heavy on the throttle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for info - sounds like a 600/650 for me commuting country lanes. That's really useful info!

I was going to go for a 1988 600 for £1800 but I'd be better off for an early/mid 00s model!

Thank you for forum wisdom. I'll keep eagle eyed on the megathread for new ads. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i don't feature 650s in the "ebay/gumtree" thread, just 600s.

there are always loads on ebay/gumtree though

this is a great buy

this isn't bad either

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saw the exact same 2 on ebay as well because of those posts!

The Somerset 600 looks like a steal - if I had a van or it was MOT'd I'd get on a train down there today.

Lewes 650 is next door to me (Tunbridge Wells) but £2250 - good value?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i would snap up the somerset one if i lived close. stick an MOT on it and it will be worth £2,000

age is not much of a factor on 650s as they are all the same. look for condition. you can get some rusty old 2006 models and some clean rust free 2001 models too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As this thread has practically turned into buyers advice (thank you) look what I found...

43k miles, think that's good?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts