Honda XRV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
how much did you pay for it?

it looks a bit rusty. you could take the handlebars off and get them powder coated, i did that with my 2001 model
£1250, cheapest one I've found lately online and also nearest without having to get a courier.

Good shout on powercoating the handlebars - I'm intending on replacing a lot of the rusted nuts & bolts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
that's a really early 650 model, they only did that green colour scheme at the very start of the 650 range in 2000

it looks like it has the "seat not fitting properly" issue that a lot of 650s have. ie a gap above the side panels

i would check the wiring to the regulator (look behind the CDI unit - left side panel). this electrical junction often corrodes in transalps, resulting in the battery not charging fully. it happened to my 2001 model

braided front brake hoses will improve the brakes a lot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
that's a really early 650 model, they only did that colour scheme at the very start of the 650 range in 2000-2001

it looks like it has the "seat not fitting properly" issue that a lot of 650s have. ie a gap above the side panels
Good eye for that, noticed the front of the seat looking slightly raised(?) when chatting with the seller.

Easy fix? Get a replacement seat?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
seat issue discussed here

·
Registered
112 Posts
You’ll probably see a few posts on here regarding rusty spokes. But more worryingly is corrosion inside the rims. Might be worth riding it this year and getting the wheels re-spoked next winter. It’s likely caused by salt on the roads, but I’m sure other will have advice.
Welcome to the fold btw, look a decent bike. I like all the models regardless of carbs or injection, but I’d recommend that if it’s been standing for a while you give it a decent service including taking battery off and putting it on charge. Good luck and enjoy. Oh, and check out the front sprocket and consider fitting one of thesehttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184665950758?hash=item2afef2ca26:g:k~EAAOSwSIRgKpCc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You’ll probably see a few posts on here regarding rusty spokes. But more worryingly is corrosion inside the rims. Might be worth riding it this year and getting the wheels re-spoked next winter. It’s likely caused by salt on the roads, but I’m sure other will have advice.
Welcome to the fold btw, look a decent bike. I like all the models regardless of carbs or injection, but I’d recommend that if it’s been standing for a while you give it a decent service including taking battery off and putting it on charge. Good luck and enjoy. Oh, and check out the front sprocket and consider fitting one of thesehttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184665950758?hash=item2afef2ca26:g:k~EAAOSwSIRgKpCc
Forum is full of mind readers!

The spokes & rim I can't say I wasn't a little concerned about. A full service definitely, too.

Grabbing it tomorrow to ride back home- then going to get serviced right away.

I do want to "fix it up", maybe replace a few parts that are SUPER rusted.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i bet the centre stand is pretty rusty, mine was. i found that sanding it and using smooth black Hammerite paint worked well.

i have also used the silver smooth hammerite paint for the rusty silver bits on the frame, swingarm etc

i have also used "zinc 182" rust inhibitor in the past. after sanding the rusty bits, spray/paint some on, allow to dry, then apply hammerite

everyone has their own method

it's a 22 year old bike so it's never going to be mint unless you strip the whole bike down and spend a lot of time and money, but you should be able to clean it up pretty well

·
Registered
112 Posts
I only went to look at mine and ended up riding it home from north of Derby.
I was immediately impressed with how well it handled and how easy to ride it was.
The front sprocket wears the shaft out eventually, those super sprockets grip a wider section of the shaft

·
Registered
2003 Honda XL650V Transalp
308 Posts
On the subject of counter shaft wear. This is the counter shaft on my '03Transalp XL650V and at the time we had traveled over 175,000km together. That is the original shaft. If your chain slack, rather than tension, is correct the shaft suffers very little wear. Yes there is some, but even if I ride it until it dies, that shaft will still be in better shape than many I've seen on this and other forums.
By the way it had been through 6 sprocket and chain sets by then and only the original and first replacement were genuine, the rest were aftermarket.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 55 Posts