Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone observed in a recent thread, there must be something wrong with the brakes on the Transalp because it just won't stay on the drive;)!

Got back 2.30am yesterday morning after a 17 hour trip back from central France (the scenic route), having only just driven down a few days before and in between done a 150 mile jolly round the twisties in the hills and gorges north of Clermont Ferrand.

When I got back home in the early hours, rather tired and stiff after about 650 miles in the saddle, I thought I probably wouldn't want to ride the bike again for a few days. But no, barely more than twelve hours later I found myself out for a 30 mile spin to take advantage of the afternoon sunshine!

Great bike - takes it all in its stride, but it's more than just functional, it makes you want to go out and play!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
That is the reason for all these heavy chains.
They are not there to stop thieves stealing the bike but to keep the bike where it should be,as the brakes are rubbish and the bike likes to roam off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thats the TA has a quiet unassuming form that just wants to make you ride and ride have ridden a lot of faster bikes but nothing has the character of the Alp.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Fruit Loop, by which means did you cross the channel? I often go Harwich-Hoek (van Holland) as it gets me foreign a lot quicker! Much better than negotiating the M25...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yip - ive got that fault too - thought after TLD I wouldnt want to sit on it again for a while but hey presto I just HAD to go and do some messages and the car hasnt got air-con now...so I had to!

Where are you in Norfolk - in in Attleborough - there seems to be a possy of us now - I work in Aviva and there are 2 nice Black 650's parked in the building next to me....your not one of them are you...could do with a ride out buddy who can get me into trouble going to France for the weekend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dubhe -
I went out by ferry Portsmouth to St. Malo (to break up journey, get a good night's kip, some nice roads/scenery, and also because not much choice at short notice).

Was tempted to come back via ferry Bilbao or Santander (!:p)to Portsmouth , but in the end decided to try out the Eurotunnel for the first time. (Bit anxious given the tales of woe I'd heard, but it was absolutely fine and straightforward (though i did ride off the train with my jacket undone, rode up the platform and suddenly found myself on the M20!))

I have wondered about the Harwich / Hook of Holland ferry (or even better Esbjerg!) but for this particular trip my recollection of a long and tedious drive from Netherlands to France many years ago ruled it out.

Farky -
I'd be pleased to meet up sometime. Not me at Aviva. I'm just outside Norwich on your side, and often blast out your direction and beyond for a spin (look out for blue/grey 650!).

Got to dash. The sun's shining...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've done the Santander/Portsmouth ferry, they have a new one which only takes 24 hours, quite a nice way to end the holiday. It's just the 200 miles back from Pompey to Norwich that quickly tell you that you are no longer on holiday!

My mate (who IS buying a used but great condition 700, thanks Farky) and I will probably be out and about in the Norwich area this weekend and next, though we usually go North due to living near the airport. There's a few green lanes that way too - do you know of any your side?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've done the Santander/Portsmouth ferry, they have a new one which only takes 24 hours, quite a nice way to end the holiday. It's just the 200 miles back from Pompey to Norwich that quickly tell you that you are no longer on holiday!

My mate (who IS buying a used but great condition 700, thanks Farky) and I will probably be out and about in the Norwich area this weekend and next, though we usually go North due to living near the airport. There's a few green lanes that way too - do you know of any your side?
Right, so weve got Jaquelsmac, Dubhe and his mate on my bike along with some fruitloop living close to me all who could possibly work out how to organise some decent rideouts round here....ive no idea about greenlanes here but always interested in some offroad type stuff..in the summer when its not bogged down in mud as I ride road tyres......anyone fancy an evening ride whilst the suns up? The thing wont stay on the drive anyway....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone fancy an evening ride whilst the suns up? The thing wont stay on the drive anyway....
Count me in (though I'm off to Yorkshire for a couple of days tommorow - the thing won't stay on the drive!).

I'm on road tyres too. I'll be rather slow for any serious off-roaders, so if you're planning to keep up a fast pace I won't be offended if you'd rather go without me.

I am up for on-road, too.

In view of thread drift, do we need to post this on rideouts forum?

·
Registered
533 Posts
The two Green Lanes I know of are both short, one is half a mile or so, the other maybe a mile, and just a bit of fun really, nothing road tyres couln't handle, they are just flat(ish) dirt unadopted roads, one skirts a woodland, the other a field (though that one is a bit grassy).

I'm only back at the weekends at the moment, but a ride out would be good if it could be arranged.

Would be very interested in meeting up, and if things went well, looking to do a bit of touring as a group in the future. Did Swiss Alps last year, was fantastic, but hard to find people with bikes, time and money. Most only have one or two of the above...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Are you sure you just didnt want to see the hammering being meated out by lot that make BMWs:hitler::hitler: sorry couldnt resist.:toothy7:

·
The psych with the bike
225 Posts
Your making me sad with all this talk of unremitting enjoyment of your TA's:confused:.

My lovely 700 hasn't turned a wheel in months, even missed TLD. This damned sciatica:mad:

Been to docs today, little jolly to see the surgeons ahead. the good outcome steroid injections Ouch! If its not so straight forward then a little bit of spinal carpentry required and possibly Months more off the bike.,

Damn I miss it, stuck in a cage every day :(

But worry not, gives me the motivation to get it sorted and back on two wheels I hope.

In the mean time get out there chaps and chappesses, enjoy yourself, the freedom and the glorious weather and do a mile or two for me:eek:

Happy and safe travels

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
In the mean time get out there chaps and chappesses, enjoy yourself, the freedom and the glorious weather and do a mile or two for me:eek:

Happy and safe travels
just put a years tax on my 600 this morning and done 50ish miles just for me but will go out again in a little while and do a few more. will try to add some for you too.
good luck with the back:thumbup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hadn't read this at the time, but in the spirit of your suggestion -

Just visited friends in Yorkshire. They asked where I'd stayed the night before, and I told them with another friend in a nearby town. They said "That was handy, it's only about 8 minutes away". "Ah," I said, "but I came the two hour route here via the North York Moors!".

Hope you're back inthe saddle soon, Sadpsych.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts