Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been about a year since I bought my 700, and I felt worthy of a bit of praise for the old girl.

It turned out to be so much more capable than I thought and underated too I think.

I initially bought it for the Autumn & Winter to bimble about locally but since I've had it my st1300 has only been out a few times and the 700 has done well over 4,000 miles

Cant put my finger on it but it just makes me smile, not perfect of course & not fast but I forgive it all that because it just makes me wanna ride it.

I've added a few extra's as you'd expect & treated it to a dealer service. I think in the real world unless you need to carry a pillion far its probably all the bike many folks need if they're honest.

The forum been a big help & a nice place to visit, Thanks all :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
good to hear you are happy with and proud of and appreciate your Transalp Nige . I feel the same way about my 600 I will have it 3 years next month and I like it more and more every time I ride it :thumbup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I've had my 700 for about 18 months and I'm still finding it a joy to ride. I've had a quick looksie at other bikes but for some reason I can't really get interested in them. I've added one or two extras and am looking at some more to personalise the bike. Unless something drastically changes I can't see myself getting rid of it for a long time yet. :thumbright:

Nick.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hollow praise without a picture, come on you know it makes sense, show her off to the world

·
Registered
46 Posts
Done 10k since I bought my 600 just over a year ago and I agree that it is all you need when solo. Shame somebody doesn't produce a middleweight with decent pillion room. Currently touring the Pyrenees on my BMW R1100GS with the wife and have rarely got out of third gear.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Done 10k since I bought my 600 just over a year ago and I agree that it is all you need when solo. Shame somebody doesn't produce a middleweight with decent pillion room. Currently touring the Pyrenees on my BMW R1100GS with the wife and have rarely got out of third gear.
I bet your ass don't care what gear your in very comfortable bike aren't they and plenty of room for two . I had a go on a mates one a while back . my woman said my K75rt with the comfort seat was the most comfortable bike she was ever on and the R1100gs would be even better . hope ye have a great time and the weather is good to ye . safe journey Mark :thumbup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice looking bike, I'm in a dilemma now, do I stretch myself to the limit and borrow to buy a new AT or do I by a good low mileage 650 I just seen, missing my transalp since I sold her a few months back.
been considering v strom 650's too God help me!!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Nice looking bike, I'm in a dilemma now, do I stretch myself to the limit and borrow to buy a new AT or do I by a good low mileage 650 I just seen, missing my transalp since I sold her a few months back.
been considering v strom 650's too God help me!!

I wouldn't put myself under such pressure wait 3 or 4 years and buy a Africa twin then It will be the same bike only cost a lot less . I don't know is a Transalp 650 better off road than a v strom do you go off road at all ? apparently a v strom is better on fuel and has cast alloy wheels so you can plug a nail hole on the fly . that appeals to me a Dueville has shaft drive as well I like that too still I would probably miss having a Transalp the places I can go on it and its so easy to live with . you could start up a direct debit into a savings account like in the credit union or something for the amount the payments would be on a new Africa twin then in 3 or 4 years you would have it nearly saved up for sell the transalp or v strom and there you are all bought and paid for plenty of money for petrol ferries camp sites and drink :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks Alias, I wouldn't be off road much,lots of rough mountain roads and forest roads at times though, I dunno the transalp just looks and feels tougher than a vstrom 650,better lights and power in the Suzuki though, shaft drive as with the Deauville wud be handy alright,get fed up with greasy chains.
The new AT does look a hell of a bike, I'd imagine they will hold their value well too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a loan of a Transalp 700 in 2008 while having a bike serviced and its kinda been under my skin since then 6 years!, I don't do any real off road (unless you count B roads in Lincolnshire) I understand the 700 is the least useful off road? I tried a V Strom Nice bike - but the buffeting from the screen put me off. My 700 is a one of the first made, I too would like a new Africa twin but hard to reason and justify when at present the TA is ticking the boxes?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I too love my transalp, does everything I want and more.

I did love my Gs1200, the only fault I could pick with it being the dry clutch. Was always cautious riding the clutch in case I burnt it out :)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Great to have an update & nice to know you are getting on with the bike, lots of interesting comments & feedback re options.
I'll always have a part of my dedicated to the TransAlps :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah same here !
I really love the way this bike handles the twisty roads around Aberdeenshire, had it for about 9 months and as I'm out of work at the moment I'm giving the bike a good workout, its so easy to ride.
I have added a FUEL Exhaust, MRA Screen, Comfort Seat (not Honda), Spots, Crash Bars, Scotoiler and just got a better (Aluminium) chain guard which I'll fit this week.
Once I get another job, I'll be adding more bits but until then I think its brilliant anyway !

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Ha. The Transalp seems to be a bike that many appreciate. I think they have bags of character for something that can also be a bit boring. I have always had a hankering for a 700 but not riding enough at the mo to justify getting one..maybe one day. I like the idea of the smaller front wheel and extra power, compared to the 650, which gets a bit wavey on the front end. But for now, Ill keep the 650 tucked up in the garage for when I do get out and about

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi, can you tell me where you got the seat from please? Also is it better than the original? The reason I ask is that after a couple of hundred miles I find I get real bad numb bum on the standard seat :-(

Cheers, Nick.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi
Yeah it was Else Made and cost about £125, I sent an old seat and he recovered in. The style he used was the Razorback with a bit of additional padding (no gel) and the Transalp Logo.
Its a lot better than the original and I've been on it for hours with no problems.
The guys name is Alastair Else, his website is

http://www.elsemade.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts