Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

looming bike tests have got me slavering about buying a proper bike up after the baby Varadero.

Whilst I love the ride position, there were times in the winter where I wanted a bit more protection from the elements

Can any Transalp riders let me know how they fare in the cold and rain. And why it's a better bet than a Dullville.

(I'll be honest, I'll hardly ever go trailriding on it. It's more for getting me and my stuff around).

Then there's that Versys everyone's raving about....

Any thoughts welcomed

cheers

Giles

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Not much protection on my Alp.

When I tried a bigger screen (powerbronze) it was a bit better but the RACKET I had to put up with. Also the rain wouldn't clear as easily.

Screen's in the garage waiting for a trim.

Alps more fun......less protection.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had Deauville 700 before my Transalp 700, it's a great bike and I miss it sometimes (when it's raining and/or cold obviously!!). The weather protection and comfort is a big plus, it's super practical also with all the storage compartments.

That said, the Transalp is very good with the screen up on extenders and is maybe 75% as comfy on the motorway wind-wise. I like the alp as I go on trails and paths. If I were going to be a 100% road rider, I'd consider the Deauville again no problem.

The DV's biggest downside is it's COLOSSAL weight! Try lifting one off the sidestand sometime, sometimes I used to think the stand was caught under something, it's over 250kg. I used to get weary of getting it in and out of the shed and parking by the roadside was tricky too. It's fine when it's moving. The Transalp is much better.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
My insight, as I was choosing between a Transalp and a Deauville; unless your an out and out Sports bike rider, lay off the 'Dullsville'.
I heard it in many camps that the Deauville and Transalp were underpowered.
I've had a few bikes, but wanted to buy as new as possible. I do love the traillie position.
Deauville standard panniers no bigger than a glove box, but bigger lids available.
Shaft drive is brilliant, but I went for a really nice Transalp with full luggage; but might still get larger panniers.
I ride, my bikes are not for show, I've been abroad a number of times and commute also.
I sold my 850GS BMW last year after covering 30K miles.
Things about the Transalp:
Your feet are a lot warmer on the BM in winter.
The pull of the BM is superb.
The translp is down on power, but with work it's great; you just change down more often.
But let's face it, it will happily travel at 80 two up and top end isn't everything. If you go into a bend too hot, it's exciting as any bike:D
Three things to make the Transalp the ultimate bike:
A bit more power
A better screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Easy access to front tappets:rolleyes:
Overall, am I happy with the Trannie... Yes...very:thumbup:
Okay, sometimes I miss the power, but for the price, I'd rather have a newer Transalp than an older Varadero; or even older BM

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A couple of drivers at work have Deauvilles and they only get 140 miles per tankful around town, on a run the MPG improves but I still prefer my Transalp.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Dullville, with shaft-drive, is almost indestructible, but the Alp is much more fun, turns in sharper, is a bit lighter, sounds better, looks better. The standard Dullville luggage is attractively neat but not very big. It suits the Alp's character to strap on what you can't pack (search for pictures of btbloke's bike!)

You can respect a Dullville but you can fall in love with an Alp. :thumbup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have had DV650 and DV700 and TA700
The DV's are great
The standard panniers are much bigger than glove box
I carried a laptop in LH one
their weight is much
The TA700 is fine but my 2 years are up and hope to trade it in tomorrow
My only complaint with the TA is the tubed tyres.
If you get a puncture to order then new tube is fine.
I got one when I was leaving fast dual carriageway
I thankfully had slowed down so that when steering was impossible, I pulled over OK
2 minutes earlier would have been a different story.
I did have puncture stuff in tyres but it did not work
I will be back to tubed.
I plan to get the Gladius 650 but my wife prefers full faired sport version.
I will decide tomorrow.

SMcG in warm Glasgow

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Dullville, with shaft-drive, is almost indestructible, but the Alp is much more fun, turns in sharper, is a bit lighter, sounds better, looks better. The standard Dullville luggage is attractively neat but not very big. It suits the Alp's character to strap on what you can't pack (search for pictures of btbloke's bike!)

You can respect a Dullville but you can fall in love with an Alp. :thumbup:
When I was considering the DV I was told that it would be better to get its bigger brother, the Pan.
When I considered the TA, no one could suggest a better choice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ask not what your TA can do for you, but what you can do for your TA. Put another way, what do you require from a bike?

DV will doubtless be the better bike if you tour frequently and enjoy the better protection it offers - TA will be the better bike if you prefer the higher riding position, a more naked look, and a little more spirited performance.

As with most bike choices it is down to personal taste unless there are huge obvious differences. Personally, one thing that endears me to the TA is the feeling of total control when riding it. I have never ridden a bike which is so easy to ride or gives so much confidence round corners.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ask not what your TA can do for you, but what you can do for your TA. Put another way, what do you require from a bike?

DV will doubtless be the better bike if you tour frequently and enjoy the better protection it offers - TA will be the better bike if you prefer the higher riding position, a more naked look, and a little more spirited performance.

As with most bike choices it is down to personal taste unless there are huge obvious differences. Personally, one thing that endears me to the TA is the feeling of total control when riding it. I have never ridden a bike which is so easy to ride or gives so much confidence round corners.
I agree with these comments,its soooo easy to ride its not true.:thumbleft::thumbleft:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi all,

Just arrived from Switzerland back to Holland. The way back was windy and it took about 8 hours. The trip was very nice off course, but I started hating the TA 650 after long hours on the highway and could not finish the last 50 Km without a break due to headache which was caused by roaring/noise and buffeting.
Its great bike, it will run and go, but on highway its a big problem. But hey, thats just me :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ear plugs and a better Helmet will work wonders.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
All bikes suffer from noise, it is the wind roaring past and around the helmet.
Some helmets are built with great sound proofing allowing for greater comfort but it is always best to have earplugs to protect your hearing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree, without good gear its almost impossible to ride the highway.
I have Arai and Shoei helmets, different types of ear plugs and played with different types of wind screens and addons. this bike is simply not for highways. I ended up spending money without results.
Best way is to ride on highway for longer than an hour and decide yourself. The most annoying thing is getting hammered by wind for hours which makes the trip very uncomfortable. Plus the vibrations of the twins, ahhh, don't get me started :)
My next bike will be definitely a 4 cylinders one which is more road oriented so that I don't have to struggle and spend money on windscreens and other stuff. Asking the transalp to perform as a tourer is too much, I discovered lately. The TA is very reliable and good for anything else than touring. Searching this forum (transalp) for vibration, wind buffeting/noise will bring more complains than solutions.

regards

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I agree, without good gear its almost impossible to ride the highway.
I have Arai and Shoei helmets, different types of ear plugs and played with different types of wind screens and addons. this bike is simply not for highways. I ended up spending money without results.
Best way is to ride on highway for longer than an hour and decide yourself. The most annoying thing is getting hammered by wind for hours which makes the trip very uncomfortable. Plus the vibrations of the twins, ahhh, don't get me started :)
My next bike will be definitely a 4 cylinders one which is more road oriented so that I don't have to struggle and spend money on windscreens and other stuff. Asking the transalp to perform as a tourer is too much, I discovered lately. The TA is very reliable and good for anything else than touring. Searching this forum (transalp) for vibration, wind buffeting/noise will bring more complains than solutions.

regards
The Vara does a good job at touring and is a twin.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
ride on highway for longer than an hour and decide yourself
Well I'd guess more Transalps have been round the World than any 4cyl bike. And piguglyshandydrinker and his Mrs. rode from England to Croatia on honeymoon. I rode mine for 21 hours on The Longest Day last year. It was not so good as my PanEuropean would have been but it is a lot tougher and the riding position is so comfortable that I stepped off without a single ache.

Before you go rushing off to buy a more cramped bike, think about the seating position. My 4cyl ZZR600 is called a 'sports-tourer', it's fully-faired and has one of the smoothest engines ever made. If I tried to tour on it, it would cripple me!

btw, you mention spending money on a screen: apart from the MRA vario screen, most of them are worse than the standard screen as they direct the wind straight into your head. If you have put another screen on, you may have created the problem.

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
What about the wee strom?

unless the quality has improved Suzukis need a lot of looking after because they melt in the rain :D

Kawasaki is much more fun to ride. Hondas still haven't got a lot of character unless you're prepared to throw money at them. Still horses for courses

1 - 20 of 48 Posts