Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Yesterday I stripped my bike down to give it a freshen up, below is a list of jobs i'm planning to do, is there anything obvious i've missed? I'm hoping to have the bike back together and running in 3 weeks time for MMM at Haggs bank. I'm going to prioritise the engine as that's the hardest bit to work on a complete bike.

Engine:
Top end gasket kit,
Valve clearances + maybe clean the valve seats up if required.
clutch check/replace,
Timing chain and guides check
Oil pump chain check
Paint the engine and cases,
Carb strip and rebuild.
Oil filter/air filter/spark plugs/coolant
Coil pack leads and caps.
Thermostat/waterpump gasket?

Frame and swing arm blast & powder coat,
Check & replace swing arm and head set bearings if required

Forks:
New dust & oil seals and rubber gaitors
Fit intiminators,
new fluid,
Paint the lowers

Fresh brake fluid.
I may already have a rear caliper service kit but that might be a job for another day.

Heated grips,
Satnav bracket,
usb power supply
voltage monitor

New tyres and tubes
Wheel bearings, but again not to bad to do at a later date.

Coolant pipe o-rings? How many & where?
Any other engine bearings/seals etc that might be worth checking/replacing?

New silicone hoses, is there much difference between 1993 and 1998 hoses?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS3-PERF...h=item26131a5cb5:g:~yQAAOSwntRcW1J6:rk:1:pf:0

For some reason there's a small black wire off the reg/rec that is tapped into the rear brake light switch, i'd like to clean that up but i'm not sure what its doing?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you are fitting intimators you should also fit new springs, especially with a '90s model. What is the engine compression like? Is the oil pump chain noisy?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What springs are recommended? The instructions only say to use a 5w oil. I've not checked the compression but it seems to run alright. Is it to late to check? I doubt i'll be able to spin the engine fast enough by hand now. I also can't find my spark plug socket and need a tool to hold the clutch while I undo the nut. The oil pump chain wasn't noisy but looks loose so will be getting changed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
They are designed to work with standard springs, I put some 600 spring rate springs in my 650 as the intiminators were developed on the 600 the 650 had a higher rate spring. Not sure how much effect new springs will have as the fork movement is largely controlled by the intiminator valve. Mine have been fitted since they first appeared and needed valve porting sorted so see what others say.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't know what springs to recommend, just that it seems pointless to "improve" the spring damping while refitting the tired old springs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just heard from the blasters/powder coaters that my swing arm is rotten and has blown a hole during blasting. I've not seen it yet but need to source a replacement. The part number is 52200-maw-760 97-99 but they are discontinued and a lot of the others on ebay look equally as rotten. Does any one have a good one to sell? Any other alternatives like 650 or @?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts