Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first transalp 2 weeks ago, one small problem

The tail light bulb, works running but no brake light, pulled the bulb out filament seems ok, but, I want to buy a spare bulb to see if the bulb is the issue befoer changing brake switches, here is the real problem, the bulb is an odd one - it seems sealed in the round plastic holder that holds it in the light fitting - is this normal or am I a gumby and cant get the bulb out or is it a sealed unit (which looks kind of silly

Here is a photo of the bulb, its fro ma 2004 transalp

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found this with my TA the front brake the light worked but not the rear brake... I adjusted the brake switch just behind brake pedal and now works great? just a thought?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bought my first transalp 2 weeks ago, one small problem

The tail light bulb, works running but no brake light, pulled the bulb out filament seems ok, but, I want to buy a spare bulb to see if the bulb is the issue befoer changing brake switches, here is the real problem, the bulb is an odd one - it seems sealed in the round plastic holder that holds it in the light fitting - is this normal or am I a gumby and cant get the bulb out or is it a sealed unit (which looks kind of silly

Here is a photo of the bulb, its fro ma 2004 transalp
Can't see the photo and I'm not sure on a 2004, but tbh I can't imagine Honda (or any other manufacturer) would design a light fitting that meant you couldn't replace the bulb...so to answer you question, Yes, you are a Gumby

There'll be a way :D

happy to eat an extra slice of humble pie, if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey folks

Got a result on the bulb - the bulb was extracted (by someone more capable)

Thanks for the exploded diagram ds99 and the comment pusd

No result on a new bulb solving the issue, tried the new bulb, dud result, both filaments come on when the ignition is switched on, so the brake switches are either stuck on or there is a short or crimp in the cables somewhere.

I will try cleaning hte switches or adjusting the rear switch to see if it is an issue

Failed to load the photo - something went wrong in the attachment process (not the most computer adept person - takes me a while to learn how to get it right)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
does the brake light come on at all when you use the front or back brake?

if no, then it's unlikely BOTH switches have failed

check the fuses and the wiring

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
does the brake light come on at all when you use the front or back brake?

if no, then it's unlike BOTH switches have failed

check the fuses and the wiring
the two filaments in the globe come on as soon as the ignition comes on (so back brake switch adjustment could be the answer)

thanks everyone for your suggestions

My NTV 650 revere, 400, or 650 Bros were never this difficult or costly ($280 for a transalp tail light lense...:blob6::mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts