Honda XRV Forum banner
5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  TimClynes 
#1 ·
Hi everybody this is my first post,I have just down sized from a gs 1200 to a 700 transalp I was just wondering what sort of tank range will I get,I don't ride fast just tend to keep to 70/74 on the motorway and on country roads no more than about 60 so what do you all think.cheers tony

#2 ·
I generally fill up at 180 miles and find I put in around 15ltrs which means I had 2.5ltrs left, that's with mixed steady riding.

I'm off on a weeks trip in France, Belgium & Germany next week, about 1200 mile round trip.

It'll be interesting to see what I can manage, I'm hoping a steady 70/75mph will get a 200 mile range ( if I dare to push my luck )

#4 ·
I ride at pretty similar speeds to you and fill up at about 180 miles which takes 13/14 litres. My longest run between fills was 217 miles which took ~16 litres and my running average since getting my Transalp (3 years ago) is 14mpl/64mpg. On a fully loaded tour through Europe last year, avoiding motorways and sticking to some pretty quiet roads, we averaged 68mpg. In theory I could 250 miles between refilling but I've never tried it!

#5 ·
thanks for all your replys,its put my mind at rest,i use to get 230 from my gs 1200 on 21 litres so the transalp works out better on fuel,might get two 1 litre fuel bottles and put them in a couple of tool tubes then it would give me a better range.cheers every body.

#6 ·
well i have just been down south on a mini tour with my mates did about 1250 miles,did loads of fill ups and i got between 165 to 180 to the last bar and on one occasion had the last bar flashing which took 14.5 litres to fill.i managed to get 66mpg which is not that bad,until i worked out my nephews gs800 out 80mpg but all in all very happy with the results,just wish i could have got 200 miles to the last bar.why didnt honda put a bigger tank on this bike ? found at a steady 80mph the bike drank fuel but on the back lanes at about 60/65 it was very good.all this was fully loaded givi trekker panniers and topbox and 15 stone of me.

#8 ·
Well, the guys on here are certainly getting better mileage than mone. I have a 2010 model with 12000km on the clock and only get about 230km and fill about 12 - 13 litres.
The bars flash up and down at this stage.

#11 ·
Well, I finally rode extremely conservatively on a tank of fuel and got 270 km's approx. 169miles. Decided it's not worth having a bike if I am riding like a granny. I think I will just be happy with my 230km per tank.

#13 ·
Don't forget that you are riding at altitude and are losing about 17% of your power. This is very noticable. Take a ride to Durban and you will think the bike has been supercharged. The loss in power means wider throttle openings.
I have gone up a tooth on the front sprocket and that has helped the fuel consumption.

#14 ·
The bars on my 57 plate 700 used to start flashing after 140 miles, but fitted a fuel worst about 6months ago and now start to flash after about 130 but then again I find the "natural" cruising speed is about 10mph higher. Have pushed it as far as I dare a couple of times and get about 185 to 195 out a tank. Haven't managed to run it dry yet always seem to be a bit conservative with my fuel stops.

#15 ·
The fuel gauge on the Transalp is useless, I have a 2012 from me and it kicks up the low fuel warning anywhere between 110 and 150 miles.

2 up at good motorway speeds, 85 - 95 steady has a litre or so spare at 180 miles.

Ignore the fuel gauge indicator and use commonsense and your trip meter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.