Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ooer dilemma!
I should have kept my R100GS, but that's a different story.
I keep meaning to save for another one, but now that I've covered 14,000 in the last year on my Trannie (2006) it really is an excellent bike.
If you take away lust etc, it does a really good job.
Before I bought it, I was looking at an @, but wanted newer, as I would be doing a lot of commuting; 14,000 miles is a lot bearing in mind I use another bike and car as well.
I feel, if the bike is older, then the advantage of easy access of carbs, valves etc makes the GS a good choice. I'm pretty ofay with BMs, I've had a few.
So, this isn't really a question, because there is no real answer, but I'm getting more and more use to the Transalp, which is scuppering my plans to get a GS!
You know, when I get over 30,000 on the Tranny, I still might do it. I do enjoy the lack of maintenance and muck with a shaftie.
But, it's all personal, this lusting after specific bikes gives me a headache:rolleyes: I've never had a bad bike.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's it, keep saving for the airhead:rolleyes:
Cannot believe how many disposable gloves you go through when you change a chain; okay, not so often.
Due to my method of lubing, which is good for the chain, I do get a large build up of gunge behind the sprocket cover, AND on the back wheel and swing arm!
Brush on engine oil and after the next ride, spray wax on the chain... airhead here I come:D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
That's it, keep saving for the airhead:rolleyes:
Cannot believe how many disposable gloves you go through when you change a chain; okay, not so often.
Due to my method of lubing, which is good for the chain, I do get a large build up of gunge behind the sprocket cover, AND on the back wheel and swing arm!
Brush on engine oil and after the next ride, spray wax on the chain... airhead here I come:D
Touring scot oiler.... simples

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the biggest issue is getting the GS out of my head, that is the difficulty. See, when you don't have children, you focus on really silly things:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I think the biggest issue is getting the GS out of my head, that is the difficulty. See, when you don't have children, you focus on really silly things:rolleyes:
get one .. then do a bck to back with the Apl over a few years :iconbiggrin:

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm trying to avoid a facility for the mentally insane. You see, I bought A GS off eBay. It needed about one to two K spending to make it nice. I got a bit scared and sold it. With hindsight, I should have done the work. See.... One flew over the cuckoo's nest:blob3:

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
Yep, it's getting the bike lust out of your head that is the trick.

I've never tried an alp before but they seem like a capable no frills kinda bike. The GS has its faults as well, and plenty of them. If I had to get a new bike today I'd seriously consider the 1100 as they're dirt cheap and the airheads are starting to fetch silly money these days. I very nearly bought one last year, but I'd miss the character of the 100 even if the 1100 wins on points.

(Isn't that nice of me, you're struggling with a choice between two bikes, and now I've added a third :mrgreen:)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I know exactly what You mean when You write about the >GS in Your head<.
I had my GS there for years now.

I owned an Transalp that I bought new in 1990 and I was very satisfied with how it performed.
My mate owns a 1994 model that I have tested on several occasions.
I have tested some 650 Alps too, but never the 700 version.
I must say that the Transalp is a very good bike. Easy to live with, easy to ride.

I'm just learning the Airhead GS, and I'm very happy that I did not pay very much for it.

It's not as easy driven or user friendly as the Alp, it feels a bit crude compared to the Alps I have driven, and also to the ATs I owned and driven.
(It could be that my GS just needs a good tune-up and service, but I had the same feeling about my R90S and my R100RS when I owned them).

They are beginning to fetch premium prices nowadays, and I'm not really convinced they are worth that kind of money.
On the other hand, I'm very happy that I finally have one in my garage.

And I will work on the GS, this coming winter, just to make sure it performes as intended just as it did when it left Berlin in 1993.

I guess some dreams just have to be pursued in order to stop the voices in your head. :compress:

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't that nice of me, you're struggling with a choice between two bikes, and now I've added a third :mrgreen:
Welllllllllll.... I did have an 850GS, the same bike as the 1100 except for the pots, did a happy 30,000 miles on that; it had 48,000 on it when I bought it.
I think about airhead because of its lack of electronics. The paralever is superb on the 1100, but don't forget you've got a £1000 electronic box on it! I probably focus on the wrong things.
I hated the fact that it had a fuel pump in the tank and that the filter was in there too. I did put together a kit to fit it to the outside of the tank, but was a little anxious of having a thin cased fuel filter that had a minimum of 40psi going through it, sat next to my legs!
I have to say though, if the opportutnity of an 850, 1100, or possibly 1150 came up affordable...........
It annoys me that the 80GS and the 100GS prices are getting silly, I know there are a lot of people who have them, but don't ride them. I cover the miles and want to use it.
STRESSSSSSSSSSSSSS:D

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, there is another fact that doesn't get mentioned, so here goes.
Everyone with a later Transalp knows it feels weighty when you lift it from the side stand or onto the mainstand.
The GS centre of gravity is soooo low, it feels like moving around a CG125

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's in mint condition, then it might be like buying a new bike.
The version I get will have to have a normal double seat, as my wife and I will both be on it when touring.
It doesn't help being poor! I like spending weekends with my wife, which makes it hard to find the time to meet with people, so I am more of a solitary rider; maybe I'll take our savings and get that GS!!! Nah... marriage is good:D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I considered an old GS when I was looking for a change from my 600 Alp.

This was 6 years ago and there was an 800 with a 42lt tank RTW preped with a single seat but at £4,500 a bit steep.. what I realy wanted was an XLV :) so hunted and got that :thumbup: as its the 800GS beater and the price was right and they dont seem to go for silly money even though they are rare.

But I still fancy an old air head... I was speaking to a collegue and it turned out he has a 100 GS and runs it .. but fuel consumption and 'rough as' were also spoken about :) so my desire ebbed a bit...

Been smitten by the AT the past year and have neglected the XLV.. but still.... mmmm

As to the EBAY GS.... thats looks like an orniment.. I would not pay that .. some showroom might

yes you may be getting a bike as new 1980s but its still a 1980s bike.. :angel5:

I got the Alp as I read all the crap about the AT being for big folk only.. dont get me wrong the Alp is a superb bike and will do all that a twin will, and smoother.. but there is something about an RD04... glad I picked up a tired old one and breathed life into it ( just put fuel in it :)!! ) ..

So I guess there is something about an old airhead....... :cool:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

Yes that R80 G/S PD surley looks pristine, and comes with a hefty price tag.

I would love to own it, but hate to use it. I would dream nightmares about dropping it down some stony slope... :(
That bike is best used for BMW meetings, or as a piece of envy on the AD rider forum. :bom:

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts

Yes that R80 G/S PD surley looks pristine, and comes with a hefty price tag.

I would love to own it, but hate to use it. I would dream nightmares about dropping it down some stony slope... :(
That bike is best used for BMW meetings, or as a piece of envy on the AD rider forum. :bom:

"anorak mode engaged"

Ah but that bike on Ebay is not and will never be able to be a true R80 g/s PD and to the true "collector" willing to shell out serious money for one (some dealer pricing I still can't believe) would not be of interest as the R 80 g/s PD was not launched until 1984, it's got the kit fitted but not the provenance. :p

Few other little inconsistencies but too boring to mention, as for the price well it's what anyone is willing to pay for it, mind you the way prices are going I'm tempted to list some of mine on just for the hell of it!:cool:

Used to have a pair of the things, bit like buses, found one and 10 minutes later another one appeared....

Still have one and it's had some serious work done by Steve Scriminger of SED, loads of paperwork and plenty of history, still a 26 year old bike but rides beautifully and a joy to be out on.

Of course for those simply must take a classic bike out two up moments there's always this :toothy6:

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Hate you Thunder, no, no, seriously, hate you.
Come and mend my puncture right now!:D
Not a problem be straight over, oh wait, I've got to re-plumb the fuel lines and fit a solenoid fuel
valve on this

fit a freshly reconditioned set of Dellortos to this and get it on the market

while setting up the suspension on this

so, can I nip over on Thursday to sort your puncture? :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts