Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recently bought a chain and sprocket set that they were happy with, if so from where?? I see they range a lot in price - from £60 for a Chinese special to £150+

If there any 'don't touch' - please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought DID heavy duty chain and 2 sun star sprockets from wemoto as a kit for I think £120 for my 700. These are tried and tested, my default items. I personally wouldn't go with Chinese for something as important as drive train but that,s me....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation - I will have a read and go along the path of staying clear of the cheap sh...

·
Registered
25 Posts
In recent years while working in a dealers I've seen too many cheap (mainly chineese) chains break.
The issue isn't in the chain breaking and the resulting loss of power, more where the broken chain goes.
It can be harmlessly ejected out the back, picked up by another vehicle and end up taking someone's head off.
It could take your leg off or simply punch a hole through the engine casing writing off said engine.

I've used JT X ring chains on my TTR250, but on bigger road bikes I will only use DID or RK chains.
JT, Renthal or Talon sprockets. OEM front are usually rubber damped though JT have started making rubber damped ones too - means less chain noise and are worth the extra few £

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
In recent years while working in a dealers I've seen too many cheap (mainly chineese) chains break.
The issue isn't in the chain breaking and the resulting loss of power, more where the broken chain goes.
Indeed!
There's also the point that the output shaft splines .... particularly on the Africa Twin, but also on the Transalps ..... can wear and cause problems. An OEM front sprocket is "guaranteed" to be a good fit, and should minimise any wear - replacements from reputable manufacturers such as JT should be fine, but there's no knowing with cheap "no name" products.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Also be aware of where you buy stuff too and stick to authorised retailers rather than jongyung587 or whoever that is selling a raft of cheap stuff on the 'bay
It's not unknown for (poor) counterfeit copies branded as DID etc.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes there was a problem with counterfeit DID chains and NGK plugs around a year ago being sold on ebay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bluewater I checked mine are JT sprockets. Also don't forget to order front sprocket retaining plate as well as the old one would of worn out together with the sprocket, it's only £3....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone recently bought a chain and sprocket set that they were happy with, if so from where?? I see they range a lot in price - from £60 for a Chinese special to £150+

If there any 'don't touch' - please let me know.

Thanks
I just changed both sprockets and chain. I use JT Sprockets, put a 46-tooth on the rear to lower the RPMs a bit, and standard 15T on front. The chain is also JT: 525X1R Heavy Duty Expert Series X-ring chain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the notes and guidance. I fitted a new DID gold chain and JT sprockets, including the front sprocket retaining plate. The old plate did have quite a bit of wear on it, the bike only has 7k miles - so was slightly surprised.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts