Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fitted a front master cylinder repair kit to a Transalp 600 and found similar?
I stripped out the old master cylinder piston complete with its seals/spring etc and fitted the new one
Afterwards I wondered "is that circlip seated properly?" , so of course I stripped it down again to check

The new kit comes with the piston /seals/spring/ circlip but also comes with a washer ...which I remember on other bikes I did previously it sat over the exposed end of the piston and the circlip held it all in place once it was seated.

When I stripped out the new one I discovered that if the washer that comes in the repair kit is fitted it covers the recess the circlip should sit into when fitted (There isn't enough depth to fit the washer and leave the recess exposed for the circlip to sit into)
There isn't any old washer left in by mistake and when I look on the bench I don't see where I actually removed one when removing the old piston.
Without the washer fitted the circlip seats correctly but I notice when the piston springs out(brake lever released) the end of the piston makes contact with the circlip and it seems odd to me...mainly because I know ive used the washer on other bikes but with this one there just isn't the depth for both washer and circlip

Youtube shows other bikes without the washer but im still wondering am I missing something here?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
It helps but to be honest I noticed that yesterday too
The pic shows spring/seal/piston/seal/WASHER/circlip/rubber boot
Whereas when you google the part number you get this (no washer in the kit)
Still not 100% sure hmmm

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you're best best is to put it together in whatever way it seems to work
Yes I have done
Thanks for your replies
FYI I rang the guy who does valve clearances etc on the other bikes( very good guy) and he said if theres no room for the washer before the clip just fit the clip as lots of bikes are fitted this way (as the genuine kit comes with no washer...so ignore the drawing)
But he said he regularly sees it with after market kits and he fits the washer after the clip and before the boot as it acts as an extra barrier to keep all the rubbish out anyway.
All done /bled and rock solid lever
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts