Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1987 Transalp 600 with an engine rattle, I have been told it may be the cam chain tensioner.
How easy is it to check this?

·
Registered
452 Posts
It could also be valves are not adjusted lately. Thought the engine was self tensioning. To check it you need at least a Haynes manual and some guts to dismantle the tank and open up the top of the engine I believe.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
There is a wear indicator on the top of each camchain tensioner under the cam covers. You need to remove the covers and measure the length of the wear indicator 'wedge' that sticks out. If this is outside spec, the camchains and maybe also the tensioners will need to be replaced. If you haven't got one already, time to get a manual...

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
It could also be valves are not adjusted lately. Thought the engine was self tensioning. .
they are, but they still wear... other cause could be brokrn tensioner spring, usually makes a characteristic "slapping noise" when you slow the revs down

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not wanting to give you something else to think of, but I also have an '87 Alp which developed an engine rattle... sounded sort of metalic knocking coming from the bottom end... had a few different mechanic's have a listen to it, and all said it sounded like a classic bottom end bearing rattle, by this they mean the main crank bearing's had either gone or on their way out.

I'd go for the check on the cam chains first, but if they seem to be fine then could be the same as i had. I got a few quotes for repair, and cheapest was £250 for the strip and re-build + the cost of the bearings or whichever parts needed replacing.... so I went down the engine replacement route, and trawled Eblag for a replacement block.

Wherabouts in West Yorks are you, as the guy that gave me the quote was in Stockport, so might not be that far away... but possibley a few decent bike shops on you side of the hills...

Hope this helps you out a bit...

·
Registered
6 Posts
they are, but they still wear... other cause could be brokrn tensioner spring, usually makes a characteristic "slapping noise" when you slow the revs down
Hi, sorry to jump in, ive got the dreaded rattle noise ( loudest at 300rpm i would say ?
the chain tensioner is measuring 4mm if the spring has snapped i'm guessin it could stick at 4mm ?
also the chain was loose and the guide now i've wheeled it into the shed it all tight again ??
it's beyond me, any help much appreciated, kind regards, chris.
PS if anyone has rectified they're tapping please tell all !
take it easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, I got the same rattling noise that OP was speaking about. Found out that my Transalps camchain tensioner srews coming from the outside of the cylinder are not original and cannot be tightened anymore. Preowner maybe messed up.
I think I want to replace the whole tensioner unit (since I found one for 25 EUR).
My question is: Is it possible to change that unit by just removing fuel tank, carburator and cylinder head? Or do I also need to open/unmount the drivetrain and camshaft? So is it possible to just slide the new unit inside and tighten it?

Funny thing is: I have a manual (pdf), but those pages are missing (Chapter 9) would be nice if someone could share or explain the process. Thx a lot (1995 PD06 - 55.000km)

·
Registered
5 Posts
wow, i was using the Haynes for the first time. It is sooo much better than the other manuel a had before. thanks again. I think I can fix my problem without removing the engine. fingerscrossed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: changed the cam shaft tensioner and fixed the problem without unmounting the engine (which i was scared of). Even the carburators stayed in place. I just pushed the camshaft cover to the side instead of removing it completely. Reassembled, test drive: Rattling noise is gone - seals seem to be tight. Problem fixed. Thanks a lot. German forum kept saying, the engine need to be unmounted for this operation - def not true :)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Update: changed the cam shaft tensioner and fixed the problem without unmounting the engine (which i was scared of). Even the carburators stayed in place. I just pushed the camshaft cover to the side instead of removing it completely. Reassembled, test drive: Rattling noise is gone - seals seem to be tight. Problem fixed. Thanks a lot. German forum kept saying, the engine need to be unmounted for this operation - def not true :)
Glad you got a good result and thanks for the follow up info always nice to read a problem solved (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts