Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Newbie here; I bought an XL700 last year with the aim of branching into the duel sport life.This weekend I took my first off road course on the bike, lots of fun and am eager to get out more on the trails. When I bought the bike it had the Givi bars fitted (which don't seem to sit nicely, seems to be manufacturing issues rather than fitting) however the "sump guard" is the plastic one that comes stock with the bike.

After taking a few hits over the weekend (mostly onto the center stand which sits incredibly low!) I am very keen to get a sump guard on. I'm basically wondering if anyone has any advice about which bars and sump guards are compatible? It doesn't seem that any would fit with the Givi bars but definitely want bars on as they held up well when I went down a few times and no damage to the bike.

As far as I can work out the only compatible pair are the motech ones but would rather not spend £400 if possible. There is also a company called Recraft that sell an interesting looking bar set however I've never heard of them so I'm a little skeptical. I'm Norway based but all the accessories seem to be available here.

Sorry if this has already been asked but I tried searching and had no luck on a number of other posts.

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I remember reading about them somewhere but couldn't find the site again! They make the bars but not the sump guard - I'll give them a call though as their setup looks like it could work with other sump-guards such as the hepco or motech one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've sent them a message and will give an update on here when I hear from them! Very competitive prices and the gear looks solid though. I could get full crash bars, pannier rack + hardcases and a center stand (already have one but just for completeness) for less than the cost of just the hardcases from hepco that came with my bike and I'm pretty unimpressed with the fit of the Hepco stuff if I'm honest given how well known they are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well by offroad I mean gravel roads, trails and tractor ways. I am by all means a beginner but the bike handled everything thrown at it on an gravel riding course this weekend (I'm not UK based, but am British). The only issue I had was the ground clearance due to the center stand which took a few knocks and not being able to turn the ABS off is a little bit of a pain but manageable. Changing bikes isn't really in my budget for the time being so the transalp it is :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for completeness - currently I've spoken to Touratech, SWMotech and Heavy Duties. Unfortunately HD cannot make a sump guard and there bars are definitely not compatible with the other parts as they fasten to the frame cross tube right next to the sump.

The Givi bars (currently fitted) are apparently compatible with the Touratech guard, however, Touratech have stopped making parts - the Wales distributor has some (or one) piece of the sump guard left so I'll try and get a price however I suspect it will cost more than both the crash bars and sump guard from SW Motech combined once shipping and taxes are included.

SW Motech make both parts however I would prefer crash bars which wrap around a little more if I'm honest. I can't find any/many posts which speak for how well they protect the bike. I've put the bike down a handful of times on mud and dirt and the Givi bars + bark busters have done a good job.

The final option are these bars from Heed. However looking at some of the other forums it seems that their bars are of questionable quality and they're not the prettiest thing. Given how high they are the fastening points don't look lie they would interfere with any of the other sump guards.

Hepco make some bars which look useless as they sit incredibly low. And they're not compatible with their own sump guard so who knows what was going on in the design office that day.

As it stands I'm waiting for a quote from Touratech. If that's reasonable I will likely buy (maybe) the last remaining sump guard in Europe. Otherwise I will opt for the SW-Motech set-up unless someone can say the Heed bars do a good job or share some photos!

So if anyone has some photos/reviews of the heed bars with actual crash tests it would be great to know!

·
Registered
113 Posts
i have a tourech bash plate and i can tell that Givi bars dont fit round i have a set you can force them on but remember the oil change the engine bars and the bash plate have to be removed major pain

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input! Saves me dropping nearly £300 on something that won't fit. SW-Motech it is I suppose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip @mazak. I actually ordered the SW motech parts last night for more money than I care to think about but that part looks nice! Maybe someone else in future will see this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts