1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
can't comment on the deutsche, espagnol et Italiano but the french seems a bit dated & there are 1 or two errors.

the french call a battery a "batterie" (accu, or accumulateur was about 40 years ago)

"melange" is two stroke fuel which used to be sold at the petrol pumps but I havn't seen any for years...

an easyout is "extracteur"

float is "flotteur"

float valve = "pointeau"

gear lever, if specific to bikes would more commonly be called "selecteur" though "lévier de vitesses" for a car.

petrol station = "station sérvice" (you can call it "post a essence" if you're driving a vintage vehicle...)

throttle cable = "cable d'accelerateur"

kick (specifically kickstart) = kick ("fouler" is to tread or trample lol)

wheel rim = "jante" (printing error I think)

but anyway, a useful bit of paper to have about one's person when travelling abroard. :thumbup:

·
TV boffin
328 Posts

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Wot! No Norwegian?

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Jolly good. Now what is an easyout anyway? I have never heard of one.
it's like a left hand threaded, conical bolt, if you shear a screw or bolt trying to get it out then you drill into the broken bolt using the correct size drill bit, insert the correct size "easy out" which, as you turn it anticlockwise, bites into the drill hole & turns the broken bolt, thus extracting it..

http://www.crustyquinns.com/tech/easyout.html

:thumbup:

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
it's like a left hand threaded, conical bolt, if you shear a screw or bolt trying to get it out then you drill into the broken bolt using the correct size drill bit, insert the correct size "easy out" which, as you turn it anticlockwise, bites into the drill hole & turns the broken bolt, thus extracting it..

http://www.crustyquinns.com/tech/easyout.html

:thumbup:

Ah, right - like when you drill out a bolt ready to put in a helicoil?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts