Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a trailer to transport some bikes to events, prices are crazy for what they are. Went to local steel merchants and got quoted for 2" x 2" & 4" x 2" box sections it was going to cost £200 for steel alone not including suspension unit and tow hitches light etc. But would still be cheaper than buying a new one. By chance was talking to a friend who had a trailer tent to get rid off, he wouldn't take anything for it and it was ok to use as a tent if wanted.

opened it all up this morning to see what it was like and it was fine

as you can see, with the wife playing in it!!!!!!. About 2hrs later it looked like this

The chasis is good, as is the floor just got to make the sides higher and the loading ramp longer and it will be all singing all dancing 3 bike trailer. Suprisingly all the rest of the tent frames etc all cut up small enough to fit in the boot of the car to take to the scrap yard in the morning.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
all the rest of the tent frames etc all cut up small enough to fit in the boot of the car to take to the scrap yard in the morning.
A happy ending indeed. :thumbup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
perfect frame there, we have basically done the same for a couple of types of trailers, we get old of a decent axle and build on the rest, so far its worked out ok, but the price of metal sometimes makes it seem more trouble than its worth but its amazing what you can build out of whats kicking around a farmyard!

oh and galvanisings also expensive!

Oh and look your just down the road from me!

·
2,701 Posts
Take care with the weight load capacity of the suspension unit's.
the weight of 2 or three bikes will be more than a tent frame and canvas.
also the wheel size, if it has the small wheels like most trailer tent's check the load rating.
check the stud centres as mini wheels often fit.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take care with the weight load capacity of the suspension unit's.
the weight of 2 or three bikes will be more than a tent frame and canvas.
also the wheel size, if it has the small wheels like most trailer tent's check the load rating.
check the stud centres as mini wheels often fit.
each bike is around 120kgs trailer plate says 450kg so will be ok on that bit. I also have 2 possibly 3 sets of mini wheels at mother-in-laws, the wife used to be a mini inthusiast.

Galvsanising at my local steel merchants is £0.88 p/kg

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
perfect frame there, we have basically done the same for a couple of types of trailers, we get old of a decent axle and build on the rest, so far its worked out ok, but the price of metal sometimes makes it seem more trouble than its worth but its amazing what you can build out of whats kicking around a farmyard!

oh and galvanisings also expensive!

Oh and look your just down the road from me!

Do you go out off roading often pete????????????

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Jasonbc,

Have you made any further progress on the trailler project??

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jasonbc,

Yes i have but it's slow progress. I spent quite some time with the wire brushes on the drill getting rid of the rust and painting with the good old Hammerite (new formula paint it's like water and gets everywhere). I have Also welded in some 20x20mm cross members to give some more rigidity and the original floating members i have welded to the chasis for the same reason. Will photo graph tommorow and post them got to do some more bits tomorrow afternoon, that will finish the chasis then. At some point next week then i will screw the floor down and board the sides out. The only thing left to do then will be get a length of large link mild steel chain and cut the links in half and weld to the chasis for anchoring the bikes down when i use it. I've left this bit to last as the floor is cut to the shape of the chasis so i don't know where to put them until the rest is assembled. The other reason is that the trailers is in a friends workshop and the floor and other bits i might salvage are in my mothers garage.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jasonbc,

As i said progress is slow, this week it will be boarded out weather permitting

like isaid so far i've just managed to re-enforce it and paint it, won't take long now couple of week and it will all be sorted

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
This is a really good idea, I'm impressed.
I could do with a 3 bike trailer.
I currently have a collapsible single bike trailer.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Progess has been a bit better today, I now only need to get a lighting board for it and then get some steel tube, roll the ends flat and then mount 6 of them at the front for the wheels to fit in. The only other thing left then would be to mount/weld anchor points in for strapping the bikes down when used.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finally got around to finishing the photo's and update's. It's ready to use and has been for a while. Don't know if to put sonething in to lock the front wheels in, don't think il'ibother.

so far from start to finish it has cost me £105. BARGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Jason
I noticed on your signature ICE Alert.
Daft question is that cold weather freezing ice alert
or In Case of Emergency Alert
Ice for cold weather, black ice alert/ thermometer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts