Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for you...

I mentioned to Soho the other night that I'd seen a fella riding one of those Piaggio MP3 type things without a helmet.

We couldn't decide if it was a trike or not ?

Done a bit of googling and it seems it's a trike if the wheels are 46cm or more(?) apart and the 400cc version is that...car licence will do....:eek:

Even if you chose to ride it like that (assuming you survive it) I'm guessing that you'd soon get peed off being stopped and having to explain it to the Police.

P.S. Little poll of who's ridden without a helmet when/where the law permitted it.

I'll own up for myself..Here (16 yrs old :rolleyes:), America and Greece. Promised myself I wouldn't BUT....I did...Hot weather an' all that.

I do believe Mudwiz did the same on the same Greek island.

None of us would deny the stupidity of it..BUT...we did it!

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
531 Posts
Blimey, that brings back a half-forgotten memory! We were camping in Corsica and had our lids nicked from out of the tent porch whilst asleep. The nearest bike shop which sold lids was some 50 miles away....one of the nicest rides to date was along the warm, sunny, clifftop coast road from Bonifacio to the bike shop in Ajaccio. We did get stopped by a gendarme but only as he was curious about the bike, a K100. There was a helmet law but everyone seemed to ignore it back then in 1985 :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's the newer versions which have a stupidly annoying foot brake (right in the way) as well as the slightly wider front wheels. These versions being classed as cars don't get the free use of the congestion zone, I have to wear a helmet on my old 2006 one but do get to go free through London and other motorcycle toll free bridges like the QE bridge at dartford.

Can't see the point in the new one around London because you have to pay the congestion charge. The old one is a total hoot around towns, although not as easy to sneak through the gaps as a DR650.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
as i understand it trike law is a bit of a minefield, whether you can ride/drive with a car or a bike license and what it is classed as is all to do with dimensions and kerb weights. believe it or not, if you made one light enough it could be classed as an invalid carriage and you wouldnt need a license of any type!

·
Registered
459 Posts
When I got my first bike there wasn`t a helmet law,so I rode most of the time wearing a flat cap.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
The idea behind the 400 LT was to get car drivers who don't want to bother with a test, on the road with a bike that has a bit of power. That of course has back fired in London as it will cost you £10 congestion per day to ride it. You do of course get to risk not only your scull, but to also put others at risk by being let on the road with a 400cc motorcycle and possibly zero motorcycle training/experience ! Great innit ?

Speakin' of more than two wheels ? When this comes along (not long off) I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one ! :)

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
quite funky but i bet it feels odd to ride:)

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
I was riding 2-wheels before helmets were compulsory. Very effective way to dry long hair after washing (but bloody daft from a health and safety point of view!)

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
I once rode with no helmetfrom a farm camp site to the nearest village to buy grub, about a mile and a half . It was a lovely day and I just fancied it.

Unfortunately I had long hair at the time and a touring fairing. By a strange aerodynamic twist my hair was blowing forward into my eyes and not backwards.

I'll say one thing though. Motorcycling is a bloody sight quieter without a crash helmet than with.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
2 MAG rallies in Devon in 1978/79 Torquay to Taunton amongst about 10,000 other bikers all helmetless; plus loads of escapades when I was an invincible 16 - 18 year old nipping up the road to my mates or the shops helmetless, and riding round fields on 'crossers in just t shirts and trainers. Mind this was in the days when NOT drinking and driving meant 4 initial pints then limiting my intake to less than 1 pint per hour. I remember (just) riding home several times late at night after around 8 pints convinced I was sober. The police didn't seem to care, even if they stopped you.

ooh, while I am in confession - riding up and down the Ardeche gorge (at speed) in 1986 in shorts, tee shirt and plimsolls and my helmet up my arm. French copper flagged my down and said "sur la tete si'l vous plait". Not a word about anything else. :confused: Those were the days, not quite ATGATT now, but definitely ATG nearly ATT.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Me trail-riding in Greece on a hired DT125, shades - check, bandana - check, gloves - check. Who needs a helmet !

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Me trail-riding in Greece on a hired DT125, shades - check, bandana - check, gloves - check. Who needs a helmet ! and two legs

fixed it for you my mono pod friend:D:D:D:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts