Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somebody asked me if it was legal to ride a 125cc trike legally on just a provisional license

and would a cbt be required

just wondered if anyone has any direct experience or knowledge of the law...:confused:

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
As I recall, if you have a car licence then you can ride a trike. :confused:

Andy.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The old law use to be you could ride a three wheeled vehicle with no reverse gear on a full bike licence:rolleyes: so that means you can ride a trike on a full car licence,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dont it?:rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
I think you will need a category A license. It depends when you passed your test. Google 'license categories' to find out.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It will depend on the categories on the licence B1 licence required if that entitlement is on the licence then YES he can.

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
its not simple, you need the B1 as the entitlement is also dependant on the date you got your licence, what else is on your licence and the quad/trike weight, they changed all the rules to try and stop leisure quads/trikes being road registered as farm use (both weight and power restricted now)

the xtz850 quad is basically a light car for licencing but a its a bike for Vosa paperwork and its on a different cat again with the insurance classes... as usual another government cock up.

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
Don't know the current position, but the old rules about no reverse gear went out a very long time ago... my Isetta bubble had reverse, and I could drive that (and carry passengers, legitimately) on a provisional bike licence at age 16 ... but this was back in the Dark Ages (1969).
;)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Don't know the current position, but the old rules about no reverse gear went out a very long time ago... my Isetta bubble had reverse, and I could drive that (and carry passengers, legitimately) on a provisional bike licence at age 16 ... but this was back in the Dark Ages (1969).
;)

Thats BC........................................before crashhats:D

L

·
0 Posts
As already stated, check your licence, if you have B1 cat then you can ride a trike (anyone with a full bike licence will also have a B1, car only drivers will not), the A1 or (P/B/CBT/L-plate combo) category that allows riding 125cc motorcycles is irrelavant for a trike

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
Kymmy is quite right, of course. Must admit I'm can't fathom out the new categories!
PaulC..... Certainly was BC: a quick run on the old scooter (or "The Heap") after a shower sans crashhat dried the hair in no time. What's the current position re helmets on a trike, I wonder?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Kymmy is quite right, of course. Must admit I'm can't fathom out the new categories!
PaulC..... Certainly was BC: a quick run on the old scooter (or "The Heap") after a shower sans crashhat dried the hair in no time. What's the current position re helmets on a trike, I wonder?
A program on Discovery where they built a trike they rode it on the public highway without a helmet.

L

·
0 Posts
Helmets, now that is a minefield especially after the BMW C1 guy who won his court case regarding non-use of a helmet due to it's "rollcage"

As far though as I understood it if it's a category B1 then you should wear a helmet, if though it's a large/heavy trike (for example a type1 back end) weighing more than the B1 limit then it's counted as a B cat and then needs seatbelt and helmet is optional..

We spent about an hour this morning going through what a quad made from an XTZ850 counts as especialy with the new L6e and L7e cats and also the need for MSVA or SVA and whether it's counted as a true quad or car ;)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Helmets, now that is a minefield especially after the BMW C1 guy who won his court case regarding non-use of a helmet due to it's "rollcage"

As far though as I understood it if it's a category B1 then you should wear a helmet, if though it's a large/heavy trike (for example a type1 back end) weighing more than the B1 limit then it's counted as a B cat and then needs seatbelt and helmet is optional..

We spent about an hour this morning going through what a quad made from an XTZ850 counts as especialy with the new L6e and L7e cats and also the need for MSVA or SVA and whether it's counted as a true quad or car ;)
Why did we let these morons ruie this country it should have remained as a YES or a NO but now we have BUT IF.
Why could the rules not be simplified instead of pages and pages of *******?

L

·
0 Posts
The Helmet issue was one of the things that turned me against MAG.. Everytime I got dragged by a friend to a MAG meeting it was "We don't want to wear helmets" but after having a biker die on morning in my arms through a head injury and also being involved in quite a few accidents myself many years ago and ending up with cracks, scrapes and holes in helmets I thought the MAG stance was just plain stupid...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The Helmet issue was one of the things that turned me against MAG.. Everytime I got dragged by a friend to a MAG meeting it was "We don't want to wear helmets" but after having a biker die on morning in my arms through a head injury and also being involved in quite a few accidents myself many years ago and ending up with cracks, scrapes and holes in helmets I thought the MAG stance was just plain stupid...
I agree, I have always worn a helmet. If the trike is open to the elements then a helmet is there in case of someone else making a mistake. At least there is a chance of walking away with only a headache.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts