Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get away for a few days at the end of Apr, and thought I might check out the Galloway forest area. I've not been there before, so if anyone can recommend some roads (or very light tracks - will be solo on a Vara so don't want to risk an off!), i'd be really grateful. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I'm hoping to get away for a few days at the end of Apr, and thought I might check out the Galloway forest area. I've not been there before, so if anyone can recommend some roads (or very light tracks - will be solo on a Vara so don't want to risk an off!), i'd be really grateful. Thanks in advance.
There are a couple of legal trails there that are easy and the biggest hazard you will meet will be a car coming the other way. No problems on road tyres. Apart from that many are locked but there are always places to play depending how brave you feel.

Forestry Commission - Galloway Forest Park - The Raiders Road Forest Drive

I cant remember the name of the other one but a search would soon find it.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I might be doing another Galloway forest trip this year. Watch this space. But in the meantime.....

there's loads of good roads in the area, you will struggle to go wrong really (just stay of the A75 when you can). my top picks from several trips to the area planning the Galloway trip are: ]
  • A712 from Crocketford through New Galloway to Newton Stewart. In fact this is probably about the best biking road in the country - IMHO anyway.
  • A714 North from Newton Stewart, right at Bargrennan to Glentrool (visitor centre) then carry on the minor road bearing right through to Tairlaw and Straiton. Take a right here towards Dallemellington and pick up the A713 South back to New Galloway.
  • Repeat until you are exhausted but grinning like a loony.
  • The forestry tracks are the Reivers Road as per Boris's link and the Carrick Road. This is on the right about 10miles north of Glentrool on the route above and evenetually links back to the A713 south of Dallmellington. This is the better of the two forestry drives.
  • Take a trip down to the lighthouse at the Mull of Galloway. Fab sea views and very remote. Good cafe a visitor centre at the lighthouse.
  • Just West of Gretna Green turn south and follow the coast as much as you can - B721/B724/B725/A710/A711 etc etc.
  • A702 St Johns Town of Dalry to Monaive and the B729/B7000 back.
  • But TBH most of the B roads or minor roads are all worth a ride. More roads than you will have time for.
If you are looking for somewhere to stay my mate runs a B&B in Kirkpatrick Durham just of the A75 and near Castle Douglas. Hawkhill Bed & Breakfast, Kirkpatrick Durham, Castle Douglas. Tel: 01556 650659 - home Hawhill bed and breakfast castle douglas Recommended! Or try camping/bunkhouse/Yurt at Loch Ken Activity Centre Accommodation

enjoy..:D

·
Hill Rider
3,095 Posts
I might be doing another Galloway forest trip this year. Watch this space. . . . . :D
I'm watching the space . . . . . . . . . in-tent-ly :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
This is not the thread for the Galloway forest trip but I have fired of a few emails tonight to start the ball rolling. I am thinking Easter weekend - 30th March so we can make a longer weekend of it if required.

Don't reply here, just make a note and I will start a proper thread when I get some replies to my emails.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
This is not the thread for the Galloway forest trip but I have fired of a few emails tonight to start the ball rolling. I am thinking Easter weekend - 30th March so we can make a longer weekend of it if required.

Don't reply here, just make a note and I will start a proper thread when I get some replies to my emails.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Nooo. Not that week end. I'm away playing in Wales with Mr Pavey then....

Assuming he makes it out of Peru :)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Can't do Easter - having a family weekend

Enjoy peeps

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies folks. Austin, yes I will be looking for somewhere to stay, so a good recommendation is very welcome :) Don't think I can get off work the easter weekend though :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts