Honda XRV Forum banner

Trip to Poland - Advice?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  East Coast 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm planning a trip to Poland next June/July and wondered if anyone had any advice on routes there or legal/legislative problems I may find.

My Polish isn't great, but is better than my German, and should be better by next year.

I have to go to Plock for sure (paperwork for a wedding) and possibly a place near Olsztyn.

Looking forward to any pointers.

Will ;)

#2 ·
Hi mate

I touched on poland a few years ago, but we was only there about three days so I cant speak in much depth about the country i'm afraid.

We travelled via Prague and Oloumoucs (spelling ?) in czech replublic, and into Krakow for a few days. If you take this route you can easliy stop at the church of bones (as seen on LWR) in Kutna Hora for a quick break with a difference.
Memories of arriving in Poland are:

No problems at all with borders.
Roads generally 'ok' but mostly single lane, and we hit some very heavy traffic in places which even on bikes was a nightmare to get through.
Before leaving I'd read a lot of people saying that the roads were quite badly rutted from the lorries, but to be honest I didnt see much of that.
I speak not word of polish, but it wasnt a problem at all.
I think in legal terms, just have all your documents with you, dont take the p**s with speeding and you should be fine (expect your average speed to drop noticeably once you leave Germany though).
Cant think of any other particular issues about the place during planning the route.

If you pass by Krakow, have a look in the old jewish quarter one night. We stayed in a hostel there, and the quiet market square that we arrived in by day really came alive at night. Also rode out to Auchwitz/Birkenau for a tour as it's less than an hour away. Not the most jolly of outings obviously but it was quite an experience and I'm really pleased we done it. Left for Slovakia straight from there and got hit by the mother of all downpours within seconds of leaving the gates, but all in all a good, albeit brief, visit to poland.

Hope this helps just a little bit.

Good luck, you'll have a great time.

Paul

#3 ·
Hi willb

I was there last year, it was enjoyable.

Articulated trucks, smokie busses, and Sunday drivers will have you planning overtake after overtake. The roads can be rutted a little, but that adds to the fun.

There are many new roads and bypasses under construction, make sure that you have updated maps on your satnav.

My Polish is nil ... communication with anyone over ~45 was impossible (it was embarrassing). The younger generation, in general, do speak English well and I found were willing to help.

Enjoy the trip.

#4 ·
Was there in 2008. No legal/legislative problems, boarders were fine, roads were alright, people were very helpful and pleasant, accommodation and food were excellent, language was a bit of a challenge. IMHO don’t miss out on a visit to Auschwitz/Birkenau . As said above, not the jolliest of places, but has to be done.
If you do intend to do this, I can dig out the details of a great hotel about 30mins away.

#6 ·
Hi there - I'm Polish as a re a few other members - if you need any pointer with the lingo gimme a shout!

best bet is get a rough guide/lonely planet guide!

people are friendly and we always feel safe when we visit but be aware that some of the more run down areas have their crime probs just like here!

Poland is a great place - enjoy!

Z

#8 ·
with you on the forum I thought I'd better hide it!

I'm not liking the idea of a GS invasion force heading for manchester (unless you come in peace with cake!)

Born in bradford - all family from Poland - spoke Polish before English and am now helpfully bi-lingual!

It's a bit wierd when I go over there as the polish I speak is polish from just after the war and is very polite and correct (think Mr Cholmondley-Warner and you are about there!) so people tend to think i'm having a laugh or just posh!

which is set against the position of my Babcia (gran) who learnt English in bradford and now says 'ooh eck' with a very strong polish/yorkshire accent - awesome!

Z:D

#9 ·
I have my fiancee for Polish pointers, but apparently I'm not allowed to learn swear words.

The odd linguistics is currently in evidence from several of my friend's kids who now speak a combination of English and Polish as they grow up and some of the kids are better at English than their parents now.

Not sure if I'll make it down to Krakow or not as we have to do paperwork for the wedding. Not sure what it involves yet though as I didn't understand any of the documents last time.

Any really great roads or anything to venture down?

#10 ·
same as any country matey - get out of towns and just enjoy!

the mountains in the south (tatras) are stunning but the lakes are gorgeous as is most of rural Poland!

point your front wheel forward and enjoy!

Z:D

#14 · (Edited)
crossed poland quite a few times by car and bike as well. polish fiats and tractors must die.

london to middle poland (lodz) easy doable in 18 hours without any speeding (1000 miles).
there is a good toll highway between berlin and warsawa (they are finalising the last 100 km close to germany border). there are three toll stops for around 4 euros eatch. try avoiding of driving that part at night, as it is very dangerous with loads of lorries.

#16 ·
Sorry Will, can't give you any advice on travelling to Poland, but can give you some advice on marrying a Polish woman.....

DON'T DO IT! :) :)

LOL

Ps. We're planning a similar trip soon as far as Lublin so will post back anything useful on our return :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.