Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are off down to Southampton this weekend which will be our first trip over 100 miles on the TA.

Heading off in the morning then staying with some friends near Stourbridge on Friday night then carrying on down to The Hamble and camping in a mates field Saturday night, back home in one on Sunday.

I have wound up the preload on the rear and had a new tyre fitted, I have Honda panniers and top box fitted, which no doubt all will be full !!!

Can anyone give me some last minute tips, on kit, places to see along the way, safe houses etc

My route from Warrington to Stourbridge is pretty straightforward apart from via Chester and Wellington Nr Telford.

Then was going to go down M5 across to Cirencester, Swindon, Marlborough, Romsey and Southampton and then Hamble.

Cheers Frad :thumbup:

·
Varadero Explorer
237 Posts
Take breaks when needed - maybe stop every hour for a stretch/coffee
....says me :rolleyes: I tend to just keep riding until I need fuel - not the best way as tiredness can easily creep in and thats when mistakes are made.

Keep your distance from the car in front which gives you time to react. Ride at your pace, not the pace of what is in front of you.
Check oil level, brake fluid level, tyre pressures, chain, petrol.
Take some water with you in case of an unplanned stop.

Places to see - Royal Victoria Country Park, Netley Abbey :thumb:
Titanic museum at ferry docks in Southampton

Stay safe and enjoy the trip :thumbup:

G

·
Take breaks when needed - maybe stop every hour for a stretch/coffee
Seconded.
I've been all over europe in hour(ish) long hops. We did Mugello last year and it was Sue's (Mrs Doggy) first long trip on her own bike but reckoned it was nae bother because of the regular stops.
As a rule of thumb if you stop at half your tank range so you fill up every other stop.

On duals & motorways there'll be a speed when everything seems to calm down where you & the bike are happiest which you'll probably settle into without thinking and, as long as this speed isn't way over the limit, you'll be sorted:thumb: (This was a bit of a problem on my last bike:D)

On the pesimistic side, have you thought what you'd do if you broke down? Breakdown cover is nice to have as a backup

You will get a great sense of achievement when you get back ..... & I guarantee you'll want more:D

Just gan canny kidda & yer'll be aalreet:thumb:

Doggy

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, I will take heed of your comments and Im sure the wife will enjoy the hourly relief on her behind :rolleyes:

will let you know how we get on.

Re breakdown cover good one will sort but I thought Hondas run forever:thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

cheers Frad

PS have downloaded lots of Led Zep on to Ipod which runs through my autocom, oh right !!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Funny enough... I am heading up Manchester/Liverpool for the weekend. We might meet each other on our way!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool :thumbup: dont forget to nod :D:D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts