Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've done 7k miles with my XC now and as all who know me can vouch I'm pretty damned hard on the bike so may incur uncommon faults!
The fault I'm highlighting here is a problem with the gear indicator/neutral light. At 1500 miles mine had an issue with the gear indicator which ended with the ECU warning light coming on and causing me much angst! The gear indicator would read the incorrect gear hence upsetting the ECU. This was addressed by the dealer and the sender switch was replaced by the dealer.
When I put the bike back on the road following a four month lay up over winter the problem "sort of" returned. By that I mean occasionally I would get no neutral light and the gear indicator would read either 1 or 2 but never N for neutral. This seemed to rectify itself with use but while at Galloway a more pressing issue came up. No Neutral light in the morning and the bike would not turn over. :mad:
Steve T witnessed this so can confirm the starting problem I had on Sunday morning involving the neutral light and gear indicator fault, just to highlight this is a genuine issue.
Monday, after washing and polishing the bike the problem started to get worse. I took the bike round to Asda to fuel up and the neutral light was pretty intermittent, when the neutral light was not coming on in neutral the bike would idle high (around 1500rpm) but if the light came on it would be back to 1000rpm as normal, this was also followed by noises coming from the ECU, similar to the sounds made 30 secs after you switch the bike off.
I returned home and set about removing the gear indicator and neutral light switch, easily done, two 8mm studs hold the front sprocket cover, one 8mm stud for the gear linkage and two more 8mm studs for the switch. I removed the switch and gave it a wash out with WD40 as there was grease and oil oozing from it. The wiring requires the plastic brace behind the tank to be removed for access but a mere six studs, four 10mm and two Allen and you can get a hold of the connector block. I opened and washed this out with WD 40 as well then refitted.
This seems to have rectified the problem. I'm not advising anyone to attempt this with their new Tiger 800's as this would normally be covered by warranty and take the bike to your nearest dealer.
But, if like me, you need to fix your own or when the warranty expires this may be a handy fix for some of you.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Thanks for that Jim.

Hopefully it's a one off but time will tell and if it happens to others this will be valuable info.

·
Hill Rider
3,098 Posts
Glad you've given it the once over and probably found the problem & cure. Would it be possible to surround the switch, once fully bolted back on, with grease, to help prevent the ingress of any more dirt / water? just a thought.

Didn't make that phone call today abouth the run north - will try tomorrow ans text you results :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Boris, thie is the sort of info sites like these excel at and hopefully will be of use to someone in the future. Suzuki's used to have a similar issue with gear indicators in the past but usually wiring faults were Suzuki's problems.
Steve T, there was no dirt ingress mate, there's a rubber "0" ring seals it well but grease and oil may have been acting as an insulator? Or possibly just a bad connection in the wiring connector block? At least removal, cleaning and refitting seems to have resolved the issue and hopefully the learning curve will continue with the wondrous Tiger!
As for our run north for Wednesday? The rain might have to go off for a while or we'll see nothing! Met office have an amber warning in place for the rain over the next day or so! Might have to wait until summertime mate! :thumbup:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Interesting - I used to get a very simmilar type of problem with the might KTM adventure. Grease and gunge off the chain would build up over the side stand proximity switch and eventually "block" the signal. The ECU would think the switch was opened and cut the engine. It had me snookered the first time it happened , but once bitten, I just used to make sure I gave it a wipe every now and then. Sounds a bit more complicated to clean the troublesome sensor on the Tiger - but useful lesson and tip to pass on to us all.

Thankyou Jim.

·
Registered
307 Posts

Jim I had a problem with my K series BMW gear indicator switch whitch sits at the back of the gearbox and infront of the swing arm it can be stripped and cleaned, what I used was a electrical cleaner like Deoxit and then the second part of the job was the contact laquer which protects the connections, its like a two part kit. I have some of this stuff left over if you would like to try it let me know.

BIG D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Jim I had a problem with my K series BMW gear indicator switch whitch sits at the back of the gearbox and infront of the swing arm it can be stripped and cleaned, what I used was a electrical cleaner like Deoxit and then the second part of the job was the contact laquer which protects the connections, its like a two part kit. I have some of this stuff left over if you would like to try it let me know.

BIG D
Cheers mate, if the problem recurs I'll certainly look into it further and possibly try your fix.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, update for this post, a week later and the bike wouldn't start, Sunday morning, a mere 300+ miles from home in Cumbria, ECU light comes on,,,,,,, F*%k B*$^ Triumph. :rolleyes:
Ok, with the stand up the bike will start so ran it home with the ECU light on.
Took it to the local dealer today, em,,, em,,, come back next week. :( I'm soooo glad I own a Honda! (The Mighty Varadero is out from its cover!)
I'm going to press on with renovating my RD04 Africa Twin, 22 yrs old and it would be more reliable than this piece of dog toffee. :mad:
As you can see, I'm not too happy about the Tiger this week, the only saving grace is other owners are coming out of the woodwork and reporting similar issues, I can only hope Triumph come up with an upgraded switch for the gear indicator and make the Tiger into a decent reliable bike.

Steve T,,,, that F650GS idea of yours is looking better by the minute! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hope you get it all sorted :thumbup:
Every time i read a post like this it just reinforces the reasons i am resisting buying something newer i dont know how all the technology on these bikes is supposed to inhanse the ride experience all i can see is it takes something away from me. all my bikes are old dogs but they all run and cover thousands of miles a year trouble free apart from wear and tear ( touch wood :D )

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried to embrace new technology, you'd expect this all to be tried and tested before being released to the public?
Suzuki had dodgy gear indicators on old GSX's in the eighties, these often broke down but it only meant no indicator on the dash, no management warning light on dash possibly due to canbus wiring issues?
II'm really annoyed about this, as I love the bike to bits and due to this I'm finding it hard to set fire to it for the insurance money,,, be like setting fire to one of your kids! Trust me,,, it's the only thing stopping me right now :mad:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
i wish you luck i know exactly what you mean when you say you love the bike:thumbup: I think i'm going to embrace technology one day but i'm going to resist as long as i can:D. I was talking to a bloke in his late 60's a few years ago he had just bought a new GS1200 owned BM's for years and loved them but was stranded because the bike wouldnt reconise the key for it this guy had been riding in the middle of nowhere an hour earlier with no phone signal for miles lucky he was at a cafe when it happened. I'm all for anti theft systems but not when it leaves you stranded i think this is what started my hate of pointless technology on bikes

·
Hill Rider
3,098 Posts
Steve T,,,, that F650GS idea of yours is looking better by the minute! :thumbup:
P1ss#d off for you Jim, I really am, knowing how much this machine tickles your giggle gland when it does what it should, how it should, when it should!
Could always flog you a well used F8GS mate, once you've shifted the Tiger of course :toothy10: :thumbup:

That way I could get a slightly shorter version and you'd get a fully run in grin machine! :rolleyes::D

Talk soon - probably tomorrow once I've recovered from a drenching after running up to Cape Wrath and back to watch the bombing :thumbup:

Steve T

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
FFS Jim What next ??????:(:(:(:(:(, feel for you mate

Steve --- Wot rain ?????, beautiful in Skye the now :confused:, watching loads of boats and planes carrying out some sort of NATO thingy, looks good craic :thumbup::D:D:D

hope they are firing blanks ;)

·
Hill Rider
3,098 Posts
lowflyer;627950 said:
. . . hope they are firing blanks ;)
NOPE, not up north they're not - live High Explosive 500lbers from US F15's, I've been reliably informed :thumbup:

Pictures of rain clouds with blobs in them tomorrow :rolleyes:

Steve T

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
sorry to hear this Jim, I was caught licking the tigger a few times in Galloway, thing of beauty and really looks like it can do it all,

but my 23 year old RD03 did it all too :)
was clanging a bit when I put the power on ( chain tension... now sorted )...

get the 04 sorted :thumbup:

you have a full set of panels now :D

bet its very simple just inputs to the ECU.....

it will be some emissions pish where they change mapping with the gears....

well at least it has a homing bigfoot :joker:

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Jim - I'm really gutted to hear this, lets just hope it's a niggle that gets sorted sooner rather than later.
You ain't the first and certainly won't be the last one to buy a "dream bike" that has teething troubles.

I take it now you are back to fighting with Triumph.....

It really does make you wonder where manufacturers are going with all of this fancy fangled technology - where a seemingly simple fault can inexplicably render a vehicle useless.
[rant mode off]

Phil

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Sorry to hear this again Jim - I expect single malt sales will go up

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
I can only hope Triumph come up with an upgraded switch for the gear indicator and make the Tiger into a decent reliable bike.
I gave up on the lo-tech gear indicator I fitted to my Africa Twin. The pencil kept falling off the string and the paper taped to the tank got so wet I couldn't see my writing.

·
Registered
307 Posts

Blimey Jim,
I hope you get things sorted soon.

Steve, You on that bus mans outing again :D you miss it mate, I have a load of Blackhawks parked outside my office window lots of activity all this week.

BIG D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts