Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Vigor has a throttle position sensor. Any ideas why? It doesn't seem to make any difference whether it's connected or not. Since the NX doesn't have one I assume it's just something to do with emissions. Anybody actually know what the CDI does with the signal?

·
Registered
164 Posts
AIUI the CDI compares throttle opening with engine speed and uses that to adjust the ignition advance.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're correct, well that's as I understand it also. The thing is I'm fairly certain I remember reading that someone had tested the bike without it and there was no difference.
I'll try it on mine and report back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Probably all it does is advance the ignition on a trailing throttle at reasonably high revs to improve combustion, however in the workshop manual it suggests a test which should increase revs at 3,500 rpm when the device is connected.

Probably in fact it retards the ignition under normal circumstances (as advancing it is logically difficult) so if disconnected it may not run correctly.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The advance in these motors is slight anyway. It makes a small difference. Only noticeable on an emissions computer I'm sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts