Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, made it back from the xmas meet - just !!!

The bike coughs and splutter and bangs, like its about to stall. Feels like its running out of petrol.

Second thing I noticed yesterday on the motorway was if I open the throttle past a certain point - about half way - the revs suddenly drop and the bike starts to stall.

Its running incredibly rough, and I took it into work today to see what it was like this morning, I can only get it to 3rd gear, any higher gear and the revs die - so its 30mph tops in third - if I click up the gears or increase the revs, it splutters and dies.

Even in the low gears, it intermittently chokes and coughs, whereby I have to drop a gear, increase the revs gently and slip the clutch to keep it going.

Right then, what do you suspect and what am I going to look at first. Please be as detailed as possible as Im a mechanical numpty.

Cheers all

edit - posted this in the wrong section - think it shoulda been in bike tech - oops

L

·
0 Posts
Choke stuck???

Otherwise check the compession, check that there's no intake leaks. Also give the carb a strip and clean as the main jets could be clogged.

On the electrical side the HT could have a problem.

Kymmy

PS..moved to other trailies

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feckin feckity feck feck ... got the carb off the bike to strip and clean - already got a lot of cack out of it and the air filter.
Goes to take the float bowl off - two screws loosen easy, third one rounds off :angry1::angry1::angry1::angry1:

Any suggestions on the best way to try and go about getting the screw undone now its erm screwed if you see what I mean - before I take a hammer to the thing :confused2:

:D

As always thanks in advance

·
2,701 Posts
Feckin feckity feck feck ... got the carb off the bike to strip and clean - already got a lot of cack out of it and the air filter.
Goes to take the float bowl off - two screws loosen easy, third one rounds off :angry1::angry1::angry1::angry1:

Any suggestions on the best way to try and go about getting the screw undone now its erm screwed if you see what I mean - before I take a hammer to the thing :confused2:

:D

As always thanks in advance
Sounds like a job for the impact driver,( if you dont have one they are quite cheap.)
Or if the screw's on the corner so you can get a hacksaw to it, cut a slot in the head. (and use an impact driver )

L

·
0 Posts
Or just get a flat blade screwdriver or chisel and use a small hammer to tap it round using the outside edge. Just be carefull as the driver/chisel will slip.

Kymmy

PS..I wonder how long before the dremel brigade arrive :):):)

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phew - that worked :D

Hacksawed a line across the head and decided to give the new line a go before twacking it with the impact wrench - click - and off she comes.

Floatbowl off now and guess what.... the jets and needles are covered in cack :shock:

Full strip and clean on the way...

cheers Airwolf and Kymmy

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input:

I stripped out the carb took it apart, gave it a good clean and put it back.

This is what came out of the floatbowl :shock:

and this is what came off the jets and needles :shock: :shock:

It's testimony to how good a bike the ttr is that it actualy ran at all :p

Ran it to work today down the A12, slipped through all the gears smooth as cream and hit 70 easy peasy - pulled away in 1st 2nd and 3rd cleanly, and wheelied getting away from the lights :D

Twas like riding a new bike :love7:

Cheers all.

·
2,701 Posts
Glad to hear it's sorted, there'll be no stopping you off road now.
Might be worth fitting an in-line fuel filter just in case there are any bits in the tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts