Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I've had my eye on the Heidenau K60s for a while and now I need new rims I figured it might be a good time to fit them.
I'm just having trouble finding somewhere cheap to get the K60 rear for the AT.

Wemoto have it, expensively, £102 Honda XRV 750 T/V/W RD07 Africa Twin 96-98 Tyre - Rear Heidenau - Made in Germany Replacement Motorcycle Parts at Wemoto
These guys Motorbike Tyres list a rear K60 for £78 with spec: K 60 140/80 -17 TL 69T M/C M+S but they've only got TL = Tubeless version, isn't it? :confused:

Even more confusingly, this site Motorradreifen / online auch über / Polo / Hein Gericke / motorcycle tyres pneus pneumatici gomme neumaticos motorbanden mc däck motorrad reifen mp renkaat motorradreifen lists both Tube Type and Tubeless versions of the K60 in 140/80-17 but when you search it for the Africa Twin it brings up the tubeless ones! Why?! :confused:

Is this all just because there's no problem running tubes in a tubeless tyre and if so wouldn't they be heavier and/or harder to remove?
Can someone please enlighten me so I don't have to give Wemoto £102?
Thanks. :)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I have K60s and love them to bits. They are a tubeless fitting for the AT is to do with the speed rating. There are no problems running a tube in a tubeless tyre, but are harder to change tyres and fix punctures because of the stiff sidewall.

They are radial tyres and have stiff sidewalls so on road can be pushed hard into corners without the front deforming or washing out. The tread wraps round the tyre similar to a sports bike tyre so loads of lean angles available - I've had to put stubby footpegs on now because the standard ones would grind on hard cornering.

The tyres are hard compound so not for the feint hearted or uncommited / untrained riders. My rear has 6700 miles on now and has 6mm tread left in the middle and 7mm on the very edges (which are showing signs of being chewed up at the moment - I need to back the suspension off at the rear methinks). The fronts last me 3500-4000 miles maximum and I don't use brakes much to make the tyre last longer but the outer egdes are going at that mileage but at £40-£50 per front tyre I don't mind replacing them. Most people would get more out of a front and less out of the rear but that's just down to the way I ride.

If you don't like them I'll have them off you :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Where are you in the UK

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Essex mate :D and I've heard the jokes all before. Out in the sticks here so it's actually quite pleasant.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
If you were up this way you could try mine

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Paul that's really good of you. :thumbup:
I don't think I'll be going that far anytime soon - lots going on and my wheels wouldn't hold up til I've got them rebuilt!
I'd narrowed my choice down to the K60s or Trail(/Death)Wings and the K60s seem a lot more popular on here. I ruled out TKC80s because I want better grip than them on the road but I still want some grip in gravel and dryish mud. The bike came with Avon Roadrunners but I want to try some gentle green laning.
I let you know if I am round your way and planning a ride - and vice versa if you're mucking about round here sometime. Almost all the trail riders I've known round here have only been using smaller bikes. Sensible I know, but I love my AT. Anyway, I'd better do some work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts