Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last bike (600 Alp) and my new AT both have tubed tyres, and it was always in the back of my mind "What happens if I get a puncture?"

I've literally no idea how to change the inner tubes, even though I must have watched a dozen You Tube Videos on 'how-to'. Plus, I really dont fancy the toss-on of carrying tools and tyre levers to removing thee wheel, tyre and fix it - evey time I go out :(

Does anyone know of a product that works on Tubed tyres? Any pitfalls?

So, lets just say I am in the Alps and I get a flat - The ideal scenario is to hop off the bike, inject something into the tyre to get me going again and then get the tyre replaced at the next town (ish).

I have seen an ad for Bike Seal who do say on their website that its a permanent fix for tubed and tubeless tryres - anyone had the unfortunate luck to test this out?

My mates have all got tubeless tyres so they carry the usual £10 fixes with some gas canisters - Surly there's got to be something that works? Or am I just lazy and need a course in tyre repair?

:D:D:D:D

Cheers in advance !

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use OKO myself.... on a few different types of vehicles

use it on my tractor lawnmowner... the R1200 I had.. DRZ 400.. and now my AT.. great piece of mind.. it can be used for tubed and tubeless

I also keep a puncture foam cylinder thingy... and a puncture repair kit.. but the OKO hasnt let me down.. and managed to get to always to a next town (if I ended up or found something in a tyre)

and I have picked up a few nails and debris on Europe trips..

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've used sealants of all kinds over the years without any success the last one i used was that bike seal stuff. I was out on the bike and tore the valve off the tube the mess that stuff made when i was on the side of the road putting a new tube in made me decide i won't be using it again. Allot of people on the facebook page are using this kit thinking of doing it myself, or there is the alpina option if you got a grand and a half spare :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikKeVNBAmQQ

Reactions: Dave H

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Dave,

As I understand it, the simple answer is No.

The reason is that when something penetrates a tubed tyre, it tends to cause a rip or tear in the inner tube rather than making a 'nice' round hole. A situation that no injected 'slime' or whatever can repair.

As always, I stand to be corrected.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply's :D

I got in contact with Bike Seal, who admit a 25% failure rate - or, at least 75% success depending on what side of the desk you're on; they wrote:

"I have a couple of weeks ago, well, about eight, demonstrated my products effectiveness in tubes to a client in France. I purchased a new tube, inserted my product, inflated, and deliberately punctured with a 4mm spike....... It is still inflated today. I now use this as a demonstration to both trade and at shows etc. I bounce it about like a beach ball.....!

Ok, the official garb. Fully tested by MIRA. The second testing, which included speed trials at Milbrook, included several vehicle manufacturers, including Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Range Rover /Land Rover. A variety of different tyres were used from various manufacturers, including tubed tyres. MIRA stated that the product was circa 95% plus, effective in a tub less tyre. A tubed tyre was tested as circa 75-80% effective. This slight reduction is based on the very issues we face with tubes. Temperature, gauge, pressure, location of puncture, and offending object can all have an influence upon the tubes reaction to being pierced. If it shatters / bursts, nothing can be done. If however, it stays complete, as it does 75-80% of the time, then my product can plug in the normal manor, with the same effectiveness.
Having first been designed and invented for use in space suits in the early 60s, and subsequently was used in this way, we can now understand how my product has the capabilities to plug a punctured tube, as I first mentioned."

Probably better than having no contingency plan - Ish.

D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got in contact with Bike Seal <snip> ... they wrote:

"I have a couple of weeks ago, well, about eight, demonstrated my products effectiveness in tubes to a client in France. I purchased a new tube, inserted my product, inflated, and deliberately punctured with a 4mm spike....... It is still inflated today.

And there's the problem, David. His 'proof' in no way replicates the way an inner tube behaves when it gets punctured by a nail as you roll along at 30mph. So it's totally valueless
. Pure salesman's rubbish.

Your best defence against punctures in tubed tyres remains what it always has been. Fit a quality tyre in the first place and replace it while it's still got some rubber on it ;).

Also, don't forget to change the new inner tube - not every time, but at least every 3 years or so. The AT that I bought earlier this year to go to Maroc on was still using what I strongly suspect were the inner tubes fitted in Japan when it was made. As well as being all rusted around the valve, the rubber had lost all its suppleness.

Oh! And avoid riding thru builder's rubble! THAT was the cause of the only flat our group had in Maroc :rolleyes:!

HTH

Craig

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/FONT][/B][/I]
Oh! And avoid riding thru builder's rubble! THAT was the cause of the only flat our group had in Maroc :rolleyes:!
Hi Craig,

Cheers for this, on a complete side note: Morocco? I'd be very interested to hear your route and experiences :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
There's also the Tubliss sytem that you could have a look at, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjBhkdPsNIA

Thought about doing it when i was getting a lot of punctures from rim corrosion. Got pretty handy at patching tubes i tell ya! Now I carry two tyre levers strapped to the frame under the left side panel and spanners and a little puncture repair kit with those self adhesive patches under the seat with a mini air compressor. It's amazing what you can fit under the seat of the AT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's also the Tubliss sytem that you could have a look at ...
Interesting - not seen that before. However, as the manufacturer does say, "FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY", it's maybe not for Dave! Go
TUbliss Motorcycle Dirt Bike Durable Tires | Nuetech

Now I carry two tyre levers strapped to the frame under the left side panel and spanners and a little puncture repair kit with those self adhesive patches under the seat with a mini air compressor.
Yeah, if Dave is really worried about flats, I reckon that's still the way to go. But IMO, if he runs decent tyres and tubes on regular roads, he probably shouldn't be too anxious (I've had 1 flat in 40 years of biking - altho I admit I did take levers + spare tubes + pump to Maroc ...)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting - not seen that before. However, as the manufacturer does say, "FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY", it's maybe not for Dave! Go
TUbliss Motorcycle Dirt Bike Durable Tires | Nuetech

Yeah, if Dave is really worried about flats, I reckon that's still the way to go. But IMO, if he runs decent tyres and tubes on regular roads, he probably shouldn't be too anxious (I've had 1 flat in 40 years of biking - altho I admit I did take levers + spare tunes + pump to Maroc ...)
Cheers for this, I'm not overly worried but I am hoping to do more off-road work on my new AT (Not serious mud plugging) but I feel I'm at a higher risk off road than tarmac.
A simple 'can' solution just to get me home or to the next village in the Dolomites would be handy! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
On a complete side note: Morocco? I'd be very interested to hear your route and experiences :)
Ok, here we go off topic ...;) (Love it ...)

Maroc was good. Excellent country, excellent friendly people, good and sometimes challenging roads. As to route, we went a bit here and there, too tedious to recount in detail. But the Rif and the Moyen and Haut Atlas all come Highly Recommended.

If you want to see some photos, let me have your email and I'll send you a link to an album on Google Photos.

Ciao

Craig

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, here we go off topic ...;) (Love it ...)

Maroc was good. Excellent country, excellent friendly people, good and sometimes challenging roads. As to route, we went a bit here and there, too tedious to recount in detail. But the Rif and the Moyen and Haut Atlas all come Highly Recommended.

If you want to see some photos, let me have your email and I'll send you a link to an album on Google Photos.

Ciao

Craig
Will PM you - cheers :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts