Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after the complete failure of my diy bodged chain oiler (it oiled everything but the chain), i came across this:

New TUTORO TWIN FEED Motorcycle Chain Oiler on eBay, also Tools Equipment, Accessories, Motorcycle Parts Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 11-May-09 22:02:53 BST)

I had seen that Cie fitted one to his KTM, so though id give it a go. Fitted easily enough once id found somewhere to put it,and seems well thought out. Filled and charged and seems ok - some riding will tell.

I didnt want a scottoiler kit due to hassle of plumbing into the manifolds and cost.

Will post up some fitting pics and first use impressions in the next few weeks.

G

·
I believe that this is a failure as idea , especially for Oring chains .

D.I.D. indicates clearly the points of lubrication , for Oring chains ,
and its at the outer sides , over the Orings .

This system looks unable to sent the lubrication at the right spot .

·
TB
166 Posts
So how have you found this chain oiler - is it any good?:thumbright:

Well, after the complete failure of my diy bodged chain oiler (it oiled everything but the chain), i came across this:

New TUTORO TWIN FEED Motorcycle Chain Oiler on eBay, also Tools Equipment, Accessories, Motorcycle Parts Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 11-May-09 22:02:53 BST)

I had seen that Cie fitted one to his KTM, so though id give it a go. Fitted easily enough once id found somewhere to put it,and seems well thought out. Filled and charged and seems ok - some riding will tell.

I didnt want a scottoiler kit due to hassle of plumbing into the manifolds and cost.

Will post up some fitting pics and first use impressions in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I believe that this is a failure as idea , especially for Oring chains .

D.I.D. indicates clearly the points of lubrication , for Oring chains ,
and its at the outer sides , over the Orings .

This system looks unable to sent the lubrication at the right spot .

Looking at pictures 1 and 2 on ebay, it looks like the oil feed pipe is a 'Y' shape, so it could deliver the oil exactly on to the o rings.

Could well be worth a try for the price. :thumbup:

G

·
well i do not to spoil anything , but I had see the pictures too .

All that it does is to supply oil at the sprocket , by this way the internal rollers , I would agree that they will receive a partial lubrication, but the outer links will just repel the oil , due movement and structure.

Another issue could be , that the repelled oil , could fall on the wheel and let oil drop marks .

Its a matter of taste the usability of this idea .

I wish to work .. but my logic does not agree .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like it would work EXACTLY like a Scot Oiler, only diffrence is you have to remember to switch it off

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have fitted one of the latest delux kits with all the bits in one package. Fitting time about an hour. Time on bike now over 2 months, and 700 miles.

Verdict: I love it. Fitting instructions a bit basic so I missed the bit that says one needs to prime the system, but, once done it has performed to expectations. The setting on my bike is manufacturer's setting less 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine had a Scottoiler fitted & no matter how much I fiddled with the settings, all it did was purge the oil all over the left side of the tyre making left turns "interesting" to say the least :(
Ditched that & fitted a basic Tutoro kit connected to the Scottoiler twin feed end piece & it works fine, oiling both edges of the chain as well as the chain centre rollers.
Only down side is I sometimes forget to turn it off which leaves a patch like an old Brit bikes been parked there :)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I still like the PD Oiler, wired to the rear light (on all the time) for a nice positive feed. Easy to turn up the flow for a long fast run or down for a commuter run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like it would work EXACTLY like a Scot Oiler, only diffrence is you have to remember to switch it off
No. You don't need to remember to turn it off and that's where the Tutoro scores over the others. There is a weighted central shaft which is almost supported by a spring. As the bikes goes along, vibration and going over lumps allows the spring to lift the weight and shaft which then delivers oil to the supply tube. Once the bike stops the weight holds the shaft down and it shuts off the oil supply. It's a brilliant idea and works very well indeed. Oil gets to ALL parts of the chain and once it's been set up properly it doesn't get flung onto the tyre. It's a much better oiler than the others that don't need 12 volts.
John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts