Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fed up trying to keep the 20 year old Scottoiler on my Royal Enfield 500 Trials Bullet alive, so when I bought my '03 650 'Alp I wanted something simpler and more economical.

For under 20 quid the TUTORO gives you a high quality plastic reservoir with control valve, a few feet of delivery tube, a small-bore nozzle, rubber mounting blocks, a syringe (for topping up), a handfull of cable ties, and an A4 page of instructions. Optional extras include a twin-nozzle option and a stainless clip to mount the reservoir (bought one but didn't need it). The TUTORO works on the same principle as the OSCO - at a fraction of the price.

Full details at http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/ which also carries a link to the MCN / Ride product test archive at http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Ride/Product-Tests/ - the TUTORO was judged the 'best buy' in a May 2010 comparison of the six main competitors.

The kit arrived in a padded envelope 2 days after I ordered it, and it took about 20 minutes to fit and prime. The only tool required was a small pair of wire cutters to trim the ends of the cable ties. Once fitted and primed, the instructions recommend trial and error to get a drip rate of about 1 per minute (depending on oil viscosity and ambient temperature, and presumably the height difference between the reservoir and the nozzle?), which means that a 'fill' should last about 500 miles. I used 20/50 straight from my oilcan, but at the refill I switched to more eco-friendly bio-degradable chainsaw oil.

I'm very happy with the result - I open the valve by 2 turns before I set off, and close the valve when I stop. Worst case scenarios are either I forget to turn it on, so the chain doesn't get lubed that day; or I forget to turn it off and I leave a very small pool of oil behind…neither is really a problem.

I have also just ordered a second TUTORO to fit to my Bullet, to replace the Scottoiler, which, to be fair, outlasted 3 bikes and worked for tens of thousands of miles!

I reckon the simplicity of the TUTORO means that it should last me forever...

Joe

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there

I mounted mine on the left hand frame tube of both my 'Alp and Enfield Bullet - they are quite unobtrusive but still easy enough to get at to turn on/off and top up.

Joe

04-oiler unit.JPG

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Thanks Joe, thanks a bunch! Another £20 spent:rolleyes:
Never wanted to spend out on a Scottoiler, but this Tutoro looks like it fits the bill.
Just bought one and it's your fault:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
756 Posts
Have been using one for years 4th bike now they are so simple nothing to go wrong ;) when i'm being really tight i only use to go to work and not on way home , i've tried the chainsaw oil but haven't found any at reasonable price for while :thumbup:

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I've still got a loobman! looks crap but do the job well enough (and just drop engine oil through mine) will get one of these next as they look a lot smarter but similar principle and nothing to go wrong (always had issues when I had a scottoiler)
Plus side is no corrosion on my rear rim;)

Keepin it simple:)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Agree with much of the above. I don't understand the financial argument for a chain oiler that costs in the £100 region (or more). Replace the chain more often, it's cheaper! But it's worth £20 simply not to be messing about with sprays! I have the Loobman - found it much better than the RiDE report suggests - but may try the Tutoro next time.
... Plus side is no corrosion on my rear rim;)
You really don't want corrosion down there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...I've still got a loobman!...
I've got one in a box...bought for the Bullet (with the sidecar) when my dad had it, but never fitted. Amazed at how lo-tech it looks, even compared to the TUTORO! Joe

·
Registered
756 Posts
Mine will be fitted to 5th bike soon , they are excellent so simple they are so good wonder if they ever get any repeat business :eek:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have bought one of these and looking for some ideas where to mount it on a Vara, pictures would be appreciated :D:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I second that, if anyone can give details (with pics if poss) of where to fit on an 05 Varadero it would be much appreciated, had mine a couple of months now and cant seem to find the right place to mount the oiler.

Thanks

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
I bought a Tutoro; it is now in a drawer!
I buggered the end up where it is next to the sprocket, so I've gone back to my good old manual lubing.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I buggered the end up where it is next to the sprocket, so I've gone back to my good old manual lubing.
Did you mount it too close to the rear sprocket and it got traped??

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have fitted the unit not pretty, not confinced by it as it lubricates the rear sprocket so how does the chain rubber seals get lubricated, probably go back to manual lubing once per week :(

070.jpg 075.jpg

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
No ideal what I am doing with these photo's :rolleyes:

070.jpg

075.jpg

·
Administrator
1,770 Posts
I see from their website (All Products) that Tutoro do spare delivery nozzles(and other bits) at reasonable prices.
No axe to grind ...I have a Scotoiler which was on the bike when I bought it - it's excellent, saving so much time and energy I'd otherwise have to spend cleaning,oiling and spraying

1 - 20 of 23 Posts