Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there was i all prepared for the Horizons meet last Thursday. My girlfriend was not feeling well, so i told her to take it easy and we would leave tomorrow (Friday)

On Friday we set off, we got as far junction 10 of the M11, i got a rear puncture(Puncture number 1). For those of you that have read my previous post last week, i had only just learnt to change a tyre and my first tyre change took me about three hours, and i only managed to complete the task with help from members of this forum after i sent a post begging for help.

I had no puncture repair kit or spare tube with me. The spare was in my now flat tyre . I had pinched the old tube in the original tyre changing process, so i put the spare in the tyre. I never had the time to purchase a new tube before the meeting, after all, with a new tyre and tube 'What could possibly go wrong?' :eek: . A thought had gone through my mind whilst i was stranded at the side of the motorway, that maybe I had partially nipped the new tube, and the heat generated from the run up the motorway had exposed the fault and it had given away at the weakest point.

I phoned the relay services, i had the option to carry on to Derbyshire with them or go home. I chose the latter option as i was only forty five minutes from home, and i did not want to arrive at the meeting on the back of a breakdown wagon :oops: Whilst i was being relayed home in the breakdown wagon i phoned several tyre shops and motorbike shops for spare tubes, none of them had my size, and it was getting close to five thirty in the evening, my options were becoming more limited as a lot of the shops were closing.

When i got home we unloaded the bike, i fished the old tube out of the dustbin and fixed the holes, there were four in tight formation. I took the back wheel off and replaced the punctured tube with the new/old 'repaired' tube. I also repaired the original punctured tube that had let me down on the motorway, once it had been removed, and that was my 'new' spare tube.

At about 20.00 hours, off we rode again into the sunset bashing down the M11, not so fast because i was a bit nervous of getting a flat again, i eased opened the throttle after the M25 junction. As i was approaching the Stansted slip road i thought i felt the bike twitch. Nah! i thought to myself, your just being paranoid two punctures in a day, no chance?.

Whilst i was doing my war dance on the hard shoulder of the M11 staring at the flat tyre(Puncture no2), my girlfriend was telling me to calm down and be rational,and phone the relay service again. Once i had composed myself and had a few smokes, i phoned the relay services again. They arrived about an hour later, they had spare tubes of the right size for my bike, but they would not fit them for me. They would relay me somewhere safe so that i could fit my new tube, or to my destination or take me home.

I wanted to fit a new tube, but if this was going to be a re-occuring problem then there was no point in fitting one at the nearest safe place. As for the the relay to the Horizons meet this was not an option again for the afore mentioned reason, even if it was under the cover of darkness :oops: This time i was only forty minutes from home, so i chose the relay home option. At about midnight my bike was unloaded outside my house, i wheeled it into the back garden, and had the wheel off immediately. I ripped the tube out and inspected the tyre in the dark under a spotlight. I could not see or feel any foreign objects in the carcass of the tyre that would cause a problem. I inspected the wheel rim and could not see any problem there.

So i proceeded to fit the new tube with tyre, i did this in no time as i am getting really good at this tyre removal/fitting lark. I could not blow the tube/tyre up as my compressor is loud, and i did not want to wake the nieghbours up. So we went to bed, to get some well earned sleep, and in the morning i shall re-fit wheel and pump the tube/tyre up and off we shall jolly well go!

The sun was shining in the morning and the birdsong woke me up, it had rained over night, but it looked like the start to a glorious day. Up i sprang out of bed like a new born lamb. :D I had a few aches and pains from the previous day, but hey it was worth it, to help me finely tune my tyre changing skills, i like to think positive. :lol:

So! a glorious new day. Tyre and wheel re-fitted, panniers and back box reloaded quick shower have some breakfast and its tally ho chaps! rode back down the M11 wind rushing through my slightly opened visor, traffic was moderate and then we hit a long tailback. Pah! no problem, i filtered for mile upon mile, weaving in and out of the cages, the bike is feeling gooooood! man we are gonna rock today. Move mondao man AT comming through, butt out Beemer don't ya know two weels rule over four. Man i'm on fire today. Adios Stansted slip, and goodbye junction ten. About ten miles past Cambridge i saw the gas station and i realised i needed to re-fuel.

I tanked up and went to pay for the fuel, as i approached the AT my eyes popped out about six inches form my eye sockets. I had another rear flat.(Puncture no 3) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrggggggg, i did new war dance, the basil faulty special. Right you firkin bitch, this time its me or you. I fired the bike up, i rode over to the airline, got the tools out. Pulled the bike onto centre stand with full metal panniers and back box, its amazing what a little bit of adrenalin can do :lol: . Off came the wheel, tyre bead broken with centre stand, tube ripped out with my teeth :lol: tyre removed, bish bash bosh! sorted, all within minutes. I looked at the tyre and the wheel in the daylight now, still i could not see anything wrong with them.

Then i looked at the thin bit of rubber inside where the bead is. And there it was, in two places the metal cables that are under the bead rubber were exposed. It was a new tyre, maybe i caused the damage when i first tried fitting the tyre with brut strength or maybe weakened the rubber with the tyre irons, and the first flat the day before maybe caused the rubber to come off whilst riding on the rim. It was the only thing that was wrong with the tyre. When i inspected the tube, there was a hole but there was some chaffing in the rubber surrounding the hole, and most importantly when i held the tube against the tyre, the whole in the tube roughly lined up with the damage in the tyre, Eurfirkinrika!

So i cut up the old innertube and made a large patch, i gaffer taped and glued the patch over the damage tyre and left a large overlap outside the tyre, and gaffer tapped the overlap to the outside of the tube . I fitted the wheel to the rim and then the tube, which i inflated slightly to hold the patch in place. I then CAREFULLY re-fitted the tyre, making sure the overlapped piece of rubber stayed outside the tyre. Once the tyre was at the correct air pressure, i trimmed the overlapped tube with a stanley knife close to the rim of the wheel. I re-fitted the wheel and the ' jobs a good un'

My girlfriend asked 'are we still going to the meeting' i replied 'Darlin, there are people at this meeting that have ridden for many years in place like Africa,India,South America,etc In the most extreme conditions' 'WHAT SORT OF FIRKINN ADVENTURE RIDER WILL I BE IF I CAN'T MAKE LONDON TO FIRKIN DERBY IN TWO DAYS?, WE ARE GONNA GET THERE IF I HAVE TO PUSH THE DAMN THING'

Off we rode, at a moderate pace, checking the tyre every thirty minutes, and i arrived at the Horizons meeting at about 19.30 hours. The organizer, Gynn i think his name is greeted me, i told him what had happened, and his smart arse reply was 'you should have bought a BMW, and 'your just in time for the tyre changing competition, it starts in thirty minutes'. Thanks Glynn :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who needs to ride off into far off foreign lands when you can have an adventure in your own back yard, one and a half days to Ripley in Derbyshire. It was a pain in the arse, but for the tyre changing experience alone it was worth it. I don't even have use any tyre soap now, if its not at hand :lol:

Anyway, for the short time i was there, i met some of the lads and it was jolly nice meeting you chaps. And for those of you that have not had mavericks bbq'd elephant foreskin sausage, you ain't lived :lol:

·
What did I do that for...
468 Posts
LOL... :lol:

Great write up.

Got there in the end, eh :thumbup:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
dude you must be the king of typing :lol: :lol: :lol:

glad you got there in the end it was good to meet ya :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Fantastic story!

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Just read this LB and brilliant story dude, this is what adventures are made off - the journey :mrgreen:

Was good to see you there as well and if you liked the sausage ask for Boerewors next time you go into a SA shop :wink:

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
Glad to see the whole experience did not burst you're bubble. Very entertaining story. Book a slot for a presentation at HU next year........I'll come to see you tell us all how to and not to change a tyre. Glad you didn't give up, good to meet you.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts