Honda XRV Forum banner

Two policies for one bike?

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bikesure 
#1 ·
I have recently wanted to start touring on my motorbike with my girlfriend. My current bike isn't suitable for this, so thought I'd get insured on my Dad's Translap. I am 19, insured TPFT on my 250 hornet, don't have a restricted license (as of the 9th July 2009), and 3 years NCB (although used on my hornets policy) and a full time student.

My Dads insurance policy has his Transalp and Varadero on it, meaning that adding me to the policy makes it very expensive, as a 19 year old on a 1000cc bike doesn't seem to work out nicely with insurance companies.

Is there away I could insure the Transalp for just a month say? Even though it is insured by my Dad on his own policy?

I am lead to believe that a bike can't be insured by two people on different policies?

Thanks a lot

Charlie

#2 ·
It never used to be possible but the adventof daily car insurance has meant teh firms have started doing the same for motorbike policies. May be expensive (I used these people's daily car policy to insure my wife to drive my dad's car for a day).

Npt recommending these but Google found:

https://www.dayinsure.com/flexirider/

#5 ·
ebike do a monthly pay as you go policy which I think includes european riding (though best to check to be sure things haven't changed since I was with them).

eBike Insurance - Welcome to eBike Insurance

I think there are some restrictions on green lanes/offroad though and their policies don't cover you riding bikes other than you're the named rider for etc. so best to check the whole policy carefully if you go with them to make sure it's suitable, and be careful to check that they don't have some clause in there about the bike not being insured with another insurer.

I'm pretty sure I've read on at least one policy document at some stage some restriction about that, but can't remember which insurer it was (might have been a breakdown policy or something), so might be best to double check with whoever you insure with to be on the safe side.

#6 ·
If you and your dad are insured through the same broker or insurer try a joint approach asking for the best solution.

I'd also PM Bikesure of this parish, as he might have some answers.

#7 ·
Just in case it is not obvious:

If Austin had one bike, then adding you to his policy, even just for four weeks, would be a doddle, as one bike would be ridden by one rider, so the insurer would weight the risk according to the rider.

As Austin has two bikes, adding you to the policy means two bikes could well be (and will be) ridden at the same time. That doubles the risk immediately, plus your weighting for age and experience. That means two separate policies are required.

The insurer is being perfectly reasonable to say no, sorry, cannot calculate the risk so no.

If you had two cars and two riders, each car would need its own policy. A multi-rider policy only works with a single rider.

#8 ·
Whealie has saved me from needing to respond, but I'll do so anyway so I look useful :)

Multi-bike policies are designed to accommodate a single rider and it is a rarity to find a multi-bike / multi-rider policy.

Also, you are not suppose to duel-insure a vehicle as conflicts occur if a claim has to be made. There are slight exceptions to this, for example when a garage lends you a courtesy vehicle and insists on your insuring it, even though they clearly have it covered.

I would recommend contacting your father's insurer and explaining the situation. Depending on the saving that your father is enjoying from the multi-bike policy over two seperate policies, you may have to seperate the bikes to allow yourself cover on it.

I do not think there is an easy / cheap outcome for what you want.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.