Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made a 600km trip over Dolomiti mountains yesterday, and tomorow morning I found a nail..? in rear tyre. I don't know how many miles have I made with nail in tyre: Presure is OK, I don't know how deep it is. Maybe is just on a surface, but Mr.Murphy says no;) I don't wanna pull it out, let the vulcaniser do the job and I can still ride to his workshop.
The question is: Is it recomendable to seal, repair, punctured motorcycle tyre?? Should I buy a new one?
And the second: I noticed by braking, that front brake brakes kind of pulsating?? Like the disc is bend (bent?). I can't see any deformations on disc, so they must be small, if at all. Are the brake jaws floating on Vara. Mine looks prety solid, I cant move them left-right. Maybe it's not brakes at all? Can that efect be provoked by unbalanced tyre. I'm holding the front brake with same presure, but the bike goes like i'm squizing lever rapidly, frequency is depended of a bike speed, but only in low speeds I can feel that. On hard braking, higher speeds, there is no such efect to feel.
I hope you'll understand my "swahilly". TNX IA!!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Two solutions:
1. leave the nail there and ride to a proper tyre repairer;
2. use a tubeless tyre repair kit.

Repairing tyres can be uncertain. It largely depends where in the tread the nail penetrated. If it's in the centre then a repair might be possible; the repair guy will advise. If it's in the wrong place then you'll have to buy a new tyre. :(

A repair kit for tubless tyres is a rubber plug that you push into the hole using a special tool. (You have to remove the nail and ream the hole to a "standard" size for the plug to fit.) You then re-inflate the tyre and it should last a few hundred kms, maybe longer.

Don't try to ride a long way with a nail in the tyre.

The brake pulsing may be cause by the disks warping as a result of overheating. If so I believe the only solution is to replace the disks, sorry. If it's not too excessive they will last until you get home no problem.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Would the pulsing have anything to do with the ABS perhaps?

Just a thought :rolleyes:
dw is on the money for the puncture

and my thoughts are the same as rob on the ABS;)

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
and i know nothing about anything mentioned above:D :D
just wanted to clear up any uncertainty:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two solutions:
1. leave the nail there and ride to a proper tyre repairer;
2. use a tubeless tyre repair kit.

Repairing tyres can be uncertain. It largely depends where in the tread the nail penetrated. If it's in the centre then a repair might be possible; the repair guy will advise. If it's in the wrong place then you'll have to buy a new tyre. :(

A repair kit for tubless tyres is a rubber plug that you push into the hole using a special tool. (You have to remove the nail and ream the hole to a "standard" size for the plug to fit.) You then re-inflate the tyre and it should last a few hundred kms, maybe longer.

Don't try to ride a long way with a nail in the tyre.

The brake pulsing may be cause by the disks warping as a result of overheating. If so I believe the only solution is to replace the disks, sorry. If it's not too excessive they will last until you get home no problem.
TNX for answers!!
I know that procedure from car tyres, and there is absolutely no problems with repaired tyres AFAIK. But on bike tyre..:confused: I have no experiences.

Bike is new, I bought it with 0 km. I havent brake strongly a single time to overheat the discs. But... aren't the floating brakejaw here to absorbe that things (and for equal wearing of brake pads?) How about unbalanced wheel. Can that be the problem. The balance weights are moving freely around the rim:mad: and on certain speed the shimmy apears. I'm disapointed on final ansambling of the bike. It's faaar from my @. Spainards?:confused:?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was at vulcaniser today! Pulled a 2 inch nail out of tyre. He inserted from outside a piece of self vulcanizing rubber and gave me a warrant to 240 km/h. I bellive, that will do ;)
From now on, in this post, there is no reason for smilies :( The front right disc is hmm...warped(is this the word?) I haven't talk to seller yet, but by the roumors, there is no warranty on discs. The common excuse is, that one could run into a water with overheated discs, and that happens. I will get more infos after weekend. Btw, must I change both discs at once? I mean the bike is new, no braking traces on disc yet? could I buy just one piece?

·
17,680 Posts
I was at vulcaniser today! Pulled a 2 inch nail out of tyre. He inserted from outside a piece of self vulcanizing rubber and gave me a warrant to 240 km/h. I bellive, that will do ;)
From now on, in this post, there is no reason for smilies :( The front right disc is hmm...warped(is this the word?) I haven't talk to seller yet, but by the roumors, there is no warranty on discs. The common excuse is, that one could run into a water with overheated discs, and that happens. I will get more infos after weekend. Btw, must I change both discs at once? I mean the bike is new, no braking traces on disc yet? could I buy just one piece?
not sure but if the milage is very low im sure you could get away with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just don't let the dealer put you off. Don't ask for replacement. Tell them ! I had a rear on a Vara replaced no probs and a rear on a VFR.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just don't let the dealer put you off. Don't ask for replacement. Tell them ! I had a rear on a Vara replaced no probs and a rear on a VFR.
I was there today! He said, he'll try to arange with importer for replacing disc. In the meantime, he straighten my disc with piece of wood and a hammer :shock:. It's OK now:confused:. As a mechanic said, the holder of the disc was bended. I'm going for a replacement anyway!! On a question, how safe is it now, they asure me, that was a standard procedure in old days:confused: and that safety is absolutely no issue. As they have a mechanic, who is in some race team, I kind of bellive him. What do you think?

·
17,680 Posts
I was there today! He said, he'll try to arange with importer for replacing disc. In the meantime, he straighten my disc with piece of wood and a hammer :shock:. It's OK now:confused:. As a mechanic said, the holder of the disc was bended. I'm going for a replacement anyway!! On a question, how safe is it now, they asure me, that was a standard procedure in old days:confused: and that safety is absolutely no issue. As they have a mechanic, who is in some race team, I kind of bellive him. What do you think?
ive done worse in the past and got away with it:toothy3: but go for new ones anyway:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi

If the nail is not through the wall of the tyre it is repairable and should be safe to ride.

Is it tubeless? If so then the plug style self repair kit should do it, and naturally if its a tube type then remove nail and change the inner t and you should be back on the road for more mountain blasting fun...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts