Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  scouseviking 
#1 ·
What is the difference between mineral and synthetic 2 stroke oil and which is the best for my sons 1986 DT125LC?
We are going to start his bike up at the weekend after its winter hibernation and I will be using a remote tank of fuel as I am not sure if the oil pump is working.
What happens if you mix synthetic with mineral in the oil tank because I am not sure what oil is in there?
If the weather is ok ,I might start my Dommie up after its long sleep. :thumbup:

#2 · (Edited)
a 2 stroke forum is the best place for info on that . I used to have to use synthetic oil in my rd 125 that was a 1987 bike . as far as I know people tend to use the better stuff in the older bikes that were designed to run on mineral oil on account of the engines lasting longer plugs not getting oiled up as much and the engines and expansion chambers don't get coked up as bad . a part of me would love an air cooled twin for a turn like a Yamaha rd 250/350/400 a Suzuki t/gt500 or a jawa 350 BUT nice ones make a few quid these days and well they are the only ones worth having :D

#3 ·
Any reasonable oil is fine for that DT, modern 2T oil is pretty good stuff. Most of it has additives to stop port blocking which was a problem with older mineral oils.
Buy a good brand oil and you'll be fine.
Is it premix or auto-lube? If its premix I'd run it at 40:1 and you'll have no problems.
Stick with a good brand, Motul, Motorex, Castrol, Shell, Belray and you won't go wrong.
I buy a 5litre bottle of a semi-synthetic Italian brand called Bercoline, I use a lot of it in Chainsaws and Strimmers it works out about 35 per 5 litres and is very good in my experience.
I wouldn't advocate mixing mineral and synthetic, its probably OK but I still wouldn't do it.
Fresh mix always will avoid any problems.

#4 · (Edited)
When I bought the bike last year and test rode it it ran sweet as a nut but I only rode it for about five minutes.
I havnt checked if the oil pump is working but I will and thats why I am starting it on a remote tank with added two stroke just to be on the safe side.
Jnr is pissing his pants with excitement but i dont want to have him watch the engine seize and thats why I am asking you guys in advance....:thumbup:

#5 ·
Semi synth is pretty good , will be a lot better than the stuff it would have been desigend to run on , I run the Rd400 and TDr250 on semi , of fully if i can get a good deal on it , oh do not be tempted to use Castrol R or any other Castor based oils with a mineral /or synth oil , it will cause problems with things guming up , if you want the smell a teaspoonful in the petrol tanks will not hurt though

#6 · (Edited)
if you want the smell a teaspoonful in the petrol tanks will not hurt though
I couldnt decide beteen synthetic or mineral so I went with a universal one.
Our local bike shop wanted £18 a litre which I declined.

5 (4+1) Liter MANNOL 2-Takt Universal Motoröl | eBay

I will post a video of the bike running at the weekend......hopefully :D:D:D
Now we have to do something about getting some newer reeds to improve the throttle response a bit:thumbup:
Thanks for your input chaps.

#8 · (Edited)
I never pay Danish prices for anything bike related and I think charging 180kr at the local petrol station is taking the piss.
My son has just ordered 5 litres on ebay so he will have enough for the rest of the year and it cost less than 150kr brought straight to my door by Post Denmark.
I just found out today it will cost me 800kr with A Plus to sort the papers and 840kr for the number plate plus whaever afgift the state wants on a 30 yr old 125cc bike.
I cant figure out Told and Skats website so I will let A Plus sort it out.
Which part of Denmark do you live in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.