Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, after months of deliberation, I have finally put my deposit down on a new Africa Twin :D:D:D Cant wait!

Hoping to get some tyre advice please as I am not keen on the stock Dunlops.

I am running Tourances on my Alp, which have been great but wondering if you guys have any advice on whats the best tyre for duel use?

In all honestly, my off-roading will be only a small / medium amount of time compared to tarmac but I still would like tyres that are happy doing both.
Ive been told some riders have gone for 'Anakee Wilds' and some for the TKC80's, but my gut feeling is the TKC's may be too 'off-road' focused?

Any advice appreciated - cant get the new AT until end of May :( They are selling so fast!

Cheers all :thumb:

Happy (but in debt) Dave :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike :thumbleft:
I am looking at the michelin anakee wilds , as the oem tyres are not good offroad , the front washes out to easy and the rear looks rather scared of the sharp rocks . But as a road tyres i have no problem with them .
It all depends what type of riding are you doing , tyres are very personal choice and what fits one person might not work for another .

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Dave

By all accounts, the OE Dunlops are pretty good.

I had TKC's fitted on mine; not because I'll spend much time off-road, but because I like the look of them. The TKC'c actually perform quite well on the road, but they will hurt in the pocket, as I expect I'll be lucky to get 5000 miles out of them!!

The original Dunlops are in the garage, for that time in the future when actually get some financial sense :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
My new CRF arrived just this afternoon, wahey! :blob7:
Been wondering the same thing about tyres as I like to get out onto the tracks over the hills and around Kielder on the forest tracks. Every road around here is a bit like being off road to be honest ;)
Had TKC80s on my XRV and couldn't fault them for what I needed. Surprisingly good on road and never lost confidence in them. Trouble is, as BobA says, I was very lucky to get 5k out of them on the XRV. Any long distances at high speeds just chewed them really fast. I'm honestly not sure they'll work on the CRF as the extra power and higher speeds available will just shred them in no time I think. Will be good off road though.
I'm going to stick with the Dunlops for a while whilst I get used to the bike on road and run it in. Then need to find something different. Lots of recommendations for the Heidenau Scout although I don't know how good they'll be off road. Long lasting by all accounts.
Will check out the Anakee Wilds...never heard of them before but my XRV came with Anakee 2s on which lasted forever but were obviously no use off road.
Whereabouts in Newcastle are you DaveH? I'm on the Brampton side of Carlise and am often to be found mucking about near the military road, kielder, or hartside/alston way. Had a great ride out last summer up round Bamburg/Seahouses. Should meet up sometime.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
I'm running a Mefo Sport Explorer on the back with a Conti TKC80 on the front.
I've run this combo for a while on my other Twins and like how they ride both on and off road.

Reactions: Dave H

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My new CRF arrived just this afternoon, wahey! :blob7:
Been wondering the same thing about tyres as I like to get out onto the tracks over the hills and around Kielder on the forest tracks. Every road around here is a bit like being off road to be honest ;)
Had TKC80s on my XRV and couldn't fault them for what I needed. Surprisingly good on road and never lost confidence in them. Trouble is, as BobA says, I was very lucky to get 5k out of them on the XRV. Any long distances at high speeds just chewed them really fast. I'm honestly not sure they'll work on the CRF as the extra power and higher speeds available will just shred them in no time I think. Will be good off road though.
I'm going to stick with the Dunlops for a while whilst I get used to the bike on road and run it in. Then need to find something different. Lots of recommendations for the Heidenau Scout although I don't know how good they'll be off road. Long lasting by all accounts.
Will check out the Anakee Wilds...never heard of them before but my XRV came with Anakee 2s on which lasted forever but were obviously no use off road.
Whereabouts in Newcastle are you DaveH? I'm on the Brampton side of Carlise and am often to be found mucking about near the military road, kielder, or hartside/alston way. Had a great ride out last summer up round Bamburg/Seahouses. Should meet up sometime.
Congrats on the new arrival!

The TKC80's also have a lower the speed rating and I have heard that they dont like prolonged higher speeds. That's me knackered, I am always late for the ferry and need to blast it back from Europe ;)

I'm in Newcastle, and do a bit off roading in Keilder / Deadwater etc, when I can. We should defo meet up when I get my new AT :thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sure thing!
What colour have you gone for then? Manual or DCT?
Is that from the Honda place down the road from the Arena? Never used them but Ive often wondered what they're like.
Hoping to get out for a first go on mine tomorrow as the weather looks ok!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure thing!
What colour have you gone for then? Manual or DCT?
Is that from the Honda place down the road from the Arena? Never used them but Ive often wondered what they're like.
Hoping to get out for a first go on mine tomorrow as the weather looks ok!
Mines a Dakar Red one :D:D:D Yes, Newcastle Motorcycles by the Arena, they are really good lads, very recommended :thumb:
Ive gone manual :D

Cant wait !!!

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
I've got Heidenau Scout K80 front and rear on the RD07a and found them great - long lasting and reliable - but they do get a bit slidey in the wet on the 07 and the fact that the CRF is lighter but can be chucked about more kind of levels the field up a bit so I dont think I'd go for them on the CRF purely based on the amount of wet riding I do up here in Scotland - but if if anyone else bites the bullet and says they are fine - then based on my experience with them already on the 07 I'd go for some as they are hard wearing and not the most expensive to start with.......

The stock Dunlops seem fine from the first 250 miles I've done so far - but, all road and all dry so I'm holding back judgement just yet..............

Bri

Reactions: Dave H

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've recently put some Avon trail riders on my Transalp and they are great on the road wet or dry,they handle really well, a friend of mind has just put them on how triumph explorer 1200 and his well pleased.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run metzler sahara 3's on my KLR650 and found these excellent for road/trail use as you describe. Just renewed them, but they may be getting updated. Not particularly high mileage on the rear otherwise great all round. I would run them on my twin no problem, but listening for a better solution.

Bill

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bugger. Apparently the stock tyres are made for the AT and not many others are available in this size - 18" tyre on a 150 Cross section (150/70-R18).

So Tourances, Tourances Next, Anakee 2, Anakee 3, wont fit! Arrggg!!!!!

TKC80's are not that good for me as I have 2,000 miles of tarmac penciled in for July - Any last minute suggestions?????? Create arrives tomorrow :D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
The africa twin i test rode the tyres seemed good in the wet and bits dry road and they were brand new I scrubbed them in.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brand new bike and you're thinking of swapping tyres already.
Why?
Ive never really like OE rubber, mainly thanks to lots of pub conversations (long story), and also thought it would be good to have tyres that are slightly more trail based for a little off roading. I liked the Tourances, and heard good things about the Anakee's too, but no dice. So, I guess the standard Dunlops will have to do. But this is interesting.....

Dunlop TrailMax/ TrailSmart - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

So, Dunlop in Asia is Sumitomo.

Anyhoo...... looks like I have no choice as the alternatives are TKC80's or Anakee Wilds, both are a tad too chunky, loud and have low speed ratings.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you check out Heidenau K60 Scouts? Pretty good by all accounts.
I recon a lot more tyres will soon be available in this size. I have to say the standard Dunlops are very good on the road, mine are scrubbed in now and I did 300 miles yesterday, admittedly in the dry and they were superb. They won't be my choice long term but for some serious miles this summer you could do a lot worse. I'm going to leave them on for the time being and see what else becomes available.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you check out Heidenau K60 Scouts? Pretty good by all accounts.
I recon a lot more tyres will soon be available in this size. I have to say the standard Dunlops are very good on the road, mine are scrubbed in now and I did 300 miles yesterday, admittedly in the dry and they were superb. They won't be my choice long term but for some serious miles this summer you could do a lot worse. I'm going to leave them on for the time being and see what else becomes available.
Haven't check out the Scouts, but to be honest, I think I am dark territory on this as many tyres I have never tried. I think you're right, there will be more choice soon as the AT has sold bucket loads.
Standard OE Rubber then as I am away to Switzerland in July, might change them when back but its going to be 100% tarmac on the trip :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts