Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ON THE ROAD FOR 11 YEARS!
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: New members

Hi LADS MY NAME IS IAN COATES FROM HEBDEN BRIDGE YORKSHIRE BUT I AM NOW IN THE CANADIAN ROCKY MOUNTAINS NEAR BANFF GETTING MY AFRICA TWIN READY TO SHIP IT TO SIBERIA IF YOU GOOGLE - - IAN COATES HONDA- YOU WILL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ME . CAN YOU LADS TELL ME IF A 150- 70-17 WILL FIT ON MY BIKE I NORMALY FIT A 140-80-17 BUT I CANOT GET ONE HEAR .( BLOODY COLD HEAR ) ITS BEEN -35C HEAR AND IN THE GARAGE WEAR I AM GITTING MY BIKE READ ITS ONLY - 4C . ALL THE BEST IAN HOPE YOU GET THIS I AM NOT TO GOOD ON THIS THING

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Ian
looking at the 140 tourance I have fitted on my 99 AT there is not a lot of clearance between the tyre and swing arm..I recon a 150 may only just fit.

as they say...only one way to find out ...
Could you not order one from moto-tyres.co.uk - Motorbike Tyres

they ship world wide,if you can use a address to have it left at ready for you to collect. may be worth a try.

Stay Safe

Dazzer

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Pussyhorse had a 150 on his RD03 if I remember correctly, but he did have a wider rim - you don't mention which AT you've got?. Are you sure the 150 would fit on the standard AT rim?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Today before I fitted my new tyre's I fit a old 150 TKC80 I had in the garage that had come off a BMW.

It cleared the swing arm,OK ,but it just touched the plastic chain guard.

I would take the chain guard off .

Hope this help's

Dazzer

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Ian

I have a 150/70 on my RD04 (same as yours) and it will fit OK.

I currently have Continental TKC80's fitted which were taken off of a BMW 800GS.
The BMW uses a 90/90-21 front (same as an AT) and the 150/70 rear which is a different profile to the AT's 140/80 but DOES fit in the swingarm OK.

Enjoy the road

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have no advice but i read your story on the internet and WOW what a trip you're making on the africa twin!!!

Respect!! Enjoy the ride!

Greetings.

Huib

·
Registered
105 Posts
Admirable exploits sir.
I know your home town well,used to camp at Widdop gate as a lad.
They breed em tough in the pennines eh.
Hope your trip goes well
Lee Halsall

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi LEE I JUST LIVE OVER THE HILL FROM WIDUP I LIKE IT BLEAK DO NOT MAKE MUTCH OF CITYS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO RIDING ROUND SIBERIA . ALL THE BEST IAN

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi LADS THIS IS WHOT I HAVE BEEN DOING SINCE I LEFT CANADA IN APRIL 2010 I SHIPED MY BIKE TO VLADIVOSTOK RUSSIA AND THESE ARE THE COUNTERES I HAVE BEEN RIDING ROUND.1 RUSSIA 2 UKRAINE 3 MOLDOVA 4 ROMANIA 5 BULGARIA 6 TURKEY 7 GREECE 8 MACEDONIA 9 ALBANIA 10 MONTENEGROSERBIA 11 SERBIA 12 KOSOVO 13 BOSNIA AND HERZ 14 CROATIA 15 HUNGARY 16 SLOVENIA 17 AUSTRIA 18 SLOVAKIA 19 CZECH REPUBLIC 20 GERMANY 21 ITALY . AND I AM NOW IN THE MOUNTAINS IN SLOVENIA GETTING MY BIKE READT TO RIDE TO IT TO SICILY THEN TO MALTA WEAR I WILL MEET MY WIFE SHE IS FLYING THERE FROM MY HOME IN ENGLAND IT WILL BE THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1998 WE HAVE BEEN TOGETHER AT CHRISTMAS. I HAVE NOW BEEN RIDING MY 1991 HONDA AFRICA TWIN ROUND THE WORLD FOR 12 YEARS AND 400 OOO KM I THINK I WILL GET BACK HOME NEXT YEAR I TRAVAL ALONE NO GPS AND I AM 68 ( BUT FEEL 27 ) I AM NO GOOD ON THE COMPUTER , BUT VERY GOOD AT GETTING LOST IN THE WILDERNES AND SERVIVING . IF YOU GOOGLE IAN COATES HONDA YOU WILL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ME . ALL THE BEST TO YOU ALL IAN

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
531 Posts
Wow, that is truly impressive, well done :thumb: Let us know what date you'll be getting back to the UK - I will make a point of waiting at Dover docks to to applaude and buy you a pint of proper beer!

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
Wow, that is truly impressive, well done :thumb: Let us know what date you'll be getting back to the UK - I will make a point of waiting at Dover docks to to applaude and buy you a pint of proper beer!
I think this idea has been bandies about quite a bit - I for one would LOVE to do it and meet such an impressive chap - especially at the grand old age of 27!!!
Maybe we need to sort something out?

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK Mr STEINBERG I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I GET NEAR TO DOVER I THINK IT WILL BE SOME TIME NEXT YEAR . ALL THE BEST IAN

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I think an Africa Twin guard of honour is required.

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Tyre Advice OK WHEALIE I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW WHEN I AM GRTTING NEAR DOVER ALL

Same as above whealie all the best ian

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: Tyre Advice OK WHEALIE I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW WHEN I AM GRTTING NEAR DOVER ALL

You are a Legend Ian! Have been following your exploits on the Hebden Bridge website and your Facebook page and you're definitely living the dream!

I would love to be part of that 'guard of honour' when you eventually land at Dover!

Judging by the replies on here you will most definitely not go thirsty that day!

Please keep us updated on your return date.

Respect!

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ian coates

Hi LADS I AM NOW GETTING LOST RIDING ROUND SICILY IT IS JUST OFF THE END OF ITALY . ALL THE BEST TO YOU ALL IAN COATES

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
531 Posts
Re: Ian coates

Hi LADS I AM NOW GETTING LOST RIDING ROUND SICILY IT IS JUST OFF THE END OF ITALY . ALL THE BEST TO YOU ALL IAN COATES
You're lucky - I'd much rather be getting lost riding round Sicily than starting my commute back home in the icy winter darkness in the next few minutes :thumbleft: Assuming, that is, the weather there is warm & sunny?

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Ian coates i am being looked after very well by the xrv africa twin clube of italy . All the best ian

·
Registered
267 Posts

I too have followed your travels and as I'm just beginning my relationship with an Africa Twin and approaching 60 far too quickly (where the f... did all that time go?) it's been an inspiration to follow your exploits Great to hear about you as I googled you not so long ago and no one seemed to know where you were or what had happened to you. Good luck and i would join that welcoming parade at Dover as well.
Ian

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I was 55 when i left england to go for a 4 mounth ride on my bike 12 years ago i now feel 27 not 68 going on for 69 so get on you bike and go for a long ride and you will get younger , i will tell you all in good time befor i get to dover it would be good to meet bikers there and ride with me . All the best young ian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts